Addition of internal hard drive

PC-rookie 15:09 09 Oct 2007

I want to add an internal hard drive to my Compac computer that I bought about two and half years ago at PC World even though there is loads of space left on there. But I want to transfer a lot of old cine films to my pc, do some editing and add some music and then burn to DVD’s – also I will want some to remain on the hard drive. Presently I have been making photo shows for friends and family and have used music from my large collection of cd’s but think it would be better to use a separate hard drive for all of this. So my questions are: -
1. What size hard drive would you suggest?
2. Can I use the new hard drive separately?
3. Can I fit it myself?
I have struggled to get this far and have tried to read forums but the language is beyond me.
Thanks very much.

Sparkly 15:46 09 Oct 2007

What size hard drive would you suggest?
As big as you can aford.
Can I use the new hard drive separately?
Yes you can run from it and store/backup to it.
Can I fit it myself?
An easy job as long as you have the room.
Just open your pc up and check that you have a drive bay free, and wether you want to fit it to the IDE ribbon cable or take a look to see if you have a SATA connection on the motherboard, if not why not consider an external H/D these days they are large capacitys and allso reasonable in price.

click here
click here
click here
Just remember to set the new H/D to slave or cable select.

PC-rookie 22:57 09 Oct 2007

Thanks Sparkly
I have looked at EBUYER web site its very confusing which hard drive to bye. Could you suggest a hard drive for around £50 to £60s for my Compac Computer.
Thanks
Ivor

woodchip 22:59 09 Oct 2007

Make sure that your PSU can cope with the extra load

Totally-braindead 23:06 09 Oct 2007

Any you like. Personally I like Seagate and Western Digital and Maxtor and would choose one of the three, whatever was cheapest for size and speed. As an example IDE one click here reasonable 250 gig or a SATA one click here depending on whether you have IDE or SATA.
Or as has been suggested get an external one as long as you have a spare USB slot and have USB 2.0 as USB 1.1 is far too slow click here

These are just examples of what I would go for I'm not saying they are any better or worse than the others, just liked the makes and the prices and I prefer Novatech.

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:17 09 Oct 2007

Alternatively you could buy an external HD..own power supply,500Gb for £70/£50 for 320Gb and 20 seconds to fit in a spare USB port. click here

cream. 23:31 09 Oct 2007

First. What model number is the compaq computer. This could determine what size and mode of hard drive that would fit into your system.

As to your questions

1) will depend on the computer you are using. This will give you the most efficient drive for your system.

2) yes. You could use it as a slave drive { just for data } or to install a different operating system and dual boot.

3)Fitting hard drives is very easy. Screw it into the computer, connect two seperate wires and boot the machine, it can be as easy as that. The difficult part is finding the best use for it. i.e.

You could transfer all your details to the new hard drive and boot from it. If the new harddrive is faster than your current hard drive it could give you advantages over your current hard drive. The drive you now use could then be a slave hard drive.

You could use the new hard drive as a slave. This would be extra storage and you could transfer all your big files. When editing files you will find it quicker when working from one disk to a separate disk.

You could install a separate operating system, so you could boot from say XP to Vista and work on two operating systems. One at a time.

You could use an extra drive as a back-up drive. You could clone all your present hard drive to the new drive and if your system had a critical crash and would not start, you could use the back-up drive immediately to start the computer.

the list goes on.

cream. 23:38 09 Oct 2007

Easy to setup and to store data.

The only downside is their transfer rate, around 11mbps for large files { over 50mb } on usb2.0. Slow.

This would compare to an internal IDE had drive with a 7200 rotational speed and a 16Mb cache giving you around 45mbps.

A SATA150 drive would give you around 55Mbps transfer rate.

and as a result you want to transfer cine film and burn DVD's. You may find an external painfully slow.

SATA300 would go upto 85Mbps on files over 50mb.

DieSse 00:45 10 Oct 2007

I'll add my 2 pennyworth in favour of external drives.

You don't have to open the case, get the cabling right, hope there's a place to fit it, set jumpers, worry about getting the correct drive type, worry if the system PSU can cope.

You simply plug in to a USB port, format, and start using it.

Plus you can backup your system to it, and keep in a safe place, in case of disasters.

Perfect for those worried about technicalities, and perfect for disaster recovery.

DieSse 01:04 10 Oct 2007

On Speed - irrespective of the interface speed, regular 7200rpm drives can sustain a transfer rate of 40MB/s (40MegaBytes/s). This is around 320Mb/s (Magabits/s).

Now USB2 High Speed (which is what an external drive will operate at) is 480Megabits/s - and in operational practice about 300Megabits per second. USB2 FAQs click here

ie - the drive can only operate in a sustained mode (ie for large files) at or maybe very slightly about, USB2 High Speed mode.

Thus in practice it's unlikely to be significantly slower.

PC-rookie 09:32 10 Oct 2007

Thanks Everyone
My computer is at another address and I can't get the model number for some time - therefore dont know if the PSU can cope with the extra load.

Thanks again and watch this space.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017