Adding a wireless access point to Wireless router

setecio 15:46 26 May 2008

The wireless router covers most of the house but not the garden out to the side. The wireless router cannot be moved to a point to cover everything, so I want to add another wireless access point, via ethernet cable to cover the garden side. I don't want to use WDS between the routers as speed is important.

BUT what will happen in the overlap of the 2 wireless signal near the centre of the house. If I set both with the same identical SSID and same identical security will a wireless laptop switch seemlessly between the two as it moves around the house / garden.

If not what is the solution to solve this ?

Thanks.

ambra4 03:33 27 May 2008
  dms_05 08:56 27 May 2008

I've a similar system. I use my Sky router near the incoming ADSL point and that reaches most of the (large) house. I then have a LAN cable running down one floor and connecting to a DLink AP. The two simply plug together. I set the WiFi on the Sky Router to Ch1 and the AP to Ch 10 so they don't overlap. I then have all our laptops set to WiFi Roaming (see the XP WiFi Manager) so they connect to the strongest signal depending upon where they are in the house.

If you don't want to use a LAN cable to connect the router/AP then you could use Homeplug (Network over 240v mains) for that specific connection but if you go that route you may as well change completely to Homeplug and drop WiFi.

setecio 12:08 27 May 2008

Thanks dms, do you use the same SSID and security on both or different ?

Did you initially experiment with same channel,ssid, security to see what happened ?

Roaming ... mmm ... there are some unsecured networks in the area and I don't want mine connecting to them and possibly allowing people in to my network. How do you stop that possibility.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017