adding a third HDD

nelie 18:47 14 Aug 2007

hi

i currently have two hard drives installed - slave and master running off the same power and same lead. can i add an internal third HDD - off another lead and power supply. sorry - dont know my motherboard name.

HP - Compaq
Presario SR1420UK
AuthenticAMD
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+
vista ultimate

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:17 14 Aug 2007

If your board has two IDE slots (channels) you can run 4 IDE devices

1 master and 1 slave of each channel.

if you have 2 HDDs and 1 dvd drive then there is room for another HDD on the same channel (cable) as the DVD.

nelie 19:19 14 Aug 2007

if i ran it on the same channel as the dvd drive (which i reckon is possible) how do i configure the slave/master settings?
thanks for info so far

Quiller. 19:30 14 Aug 2007

There is a way you can check in windows

control panel-system-hardware-device manager-IDE ATAPI controllers-secondary channel. See which is listed for the dvd. It will be either master or slave. Set the hard drive to tthe other.

Quiller. 19:33 14 Aug 2007

control panel-system-hardware-device manager-IDE ATAPI controllers-secondary channel-advanced settings.

Or look when the computer starts. It lists the IDE channels.

nelie 20:26 14 Aug 2007

ATA Channel 0 : supports 2 devices, none listed

ATA Channel 1 : supports 2 devices:
ATAPI Cdrom (target id 0)
ATA Disk Target id 1)

would channel 0 support another HDD then ? how would i physically find out which this one is.
thanks.neil

Quiller. 20:34 14 Aug 2007

It looks as if the secondary IDE channel is full.

There is no listings for channel 0?

You can either check POST by

Starting the computer and after the memory count you will get a list of the primary master, slave and secondary master and slave settings. Freeze the screen by pressing the pause key. Make a note of the 4 settings.

To restart the boot, press enter.

Quiller. 20:38 14 Aug 2007

You can physically open the case and trace the IDE ribbon cables. They are grey, flat and wide. You need to find one that has a horizontal connector that is not been used. The second connector on that ribbon cable will go to a device installed in the drive rack. You could check the jumper setting on that drive.

PS

You are sure you have two other hard drives in the machine. Could it be that you have just one and it is partitioned to look like two drives?

nelie 21:08 14 Aug 2007

thanks for the advice quiller. will look inside the tower when i get some time.
i definately have two hard drives - the original 160GB and a 300GB one i installed back in january. i ran this from one of the other ribbon cables but cant remember if it was the dvd of hd.

will check the start up as well

Eric10 22:43 14 Aug 2007

I've looked up your PC in Google and it seems that it has 1 SATA (Serial ATA) connector which should be connected to the 160GB hard drive and 1 IDE (Parallel ATA) connector which will support 2 devices (your DVD and second hard drive). That being the case then your channels are full and you will need to fit a controller card in a spare PCI slot if you want to fit more hard drives. click here for a simple example which will take two ATA drives or click here for a SATA controller.
You may also need to check that your Power Supply Unit is capable of supporting the extra drives and if there is a spare power connector.

Quiller. 23:15 14 Aug 2007

The motherboard does in fact have 2 sepertae IDE channels click here

It also has 2 SATA ports.

"SATA connectors 2 SATA connectors (supports a total of 2 drives, 1 serial ATA-150 disk drive on each connector)
IDE UDMA modes 2 x UDMA 100/66/33 "

nelie
So that is why it is saying nothing is connected to IDE0. If you have the cable just connect it to that port. It will not matter if it's slave or master.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?