Adding an SSD to an OEM PC

phoenix198 07:21 14 Oct 2010

I have a Mesh i5 750 PC base unit which performs very well and (I must be one of the lucky ones) has been very reliable in just over one year's use.

I would like to add a SSD as a boot drive, and use the original 1Tb HDD as a data/games store. Can anyone tell me whether it is possible to simply install the SSD then restore the Mesh's operating system (Windows 7 HP) onto the SSD from the original 1Tb HDD's recovery partition?

Thanks in advance.

gengiscant 08:11 14 Oct 2010

Maybe something here. click here, though it's generally recommended to do a fresh install when using a SSD for optimal performance.

scotty 10:00 14 Oct 2010

Some SSDs come with kits to make the swap simple. Example click here

phoenix198 15:14 14 Oct 2010

Thanks - few interesting bits and pieces there. I have previously done a 'clean' install of a retail copy of Windows 7 64-bit to a SSD boot drive on a home-built system and remember that it had a slightly different sequence from 'normal' installations to a HDD. As I recall it created a small hidden partition on the SSD for nefarious (TRIM?) purposes then I had to perform a couple of registry hacks to optimise Windows 7 for a SSD, and move my default Libraries and data stores to to the 'slave' HDD.

I suppose the real question is: does a reinstallation of Windows 7 from an OEM Recovery partition (or even from a Recovery Image backed up to DVD) go through the same installation process(es) if it recognises that it is being installed onto a SSD?

phoenix198 15:19 14 Oct 2010

Thanks - I was looking at a similar deal from eBuyer for the Corsair 60GB Force SSD 2.5" SATA-II but my question was really a software installation one rather than a hardware sourcing one :)

phoenix198 15:35 14 Oct 2010

OK, that makes sense. Don't suppose you know whether installing from a non-SSD recovery image to a SSD will do this?

gengiscant 17:44 14 Oct 2010

Can you remember what the regitry hacks you did, I have had a 64GB Kingston SSD since I built this PC and am always on the lookout for a tweak or two. In fact similar to the Scotty link.

phoenix198 18:18 14 Oct 2010

Windows 7 apparently automatically applies some changes compared to a standard HDD install but I found the tweaks and optimisations detailed here click here worked well with an OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD.

At the absolute minimum, disable defragmentation on an SSD.

phoenix198 18:23 14 Oct 2010

In two minds about whether to go down the Acronis image file route or 'risk it for a biscuit' direct from the Recovery Partition image.

Either way, I reckon some of the advice click here and linked from there should be useful to fine tune the installation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?