Adding Sound Blaster Live Drive to Audigy

corc2 00:06 21 Sep 2006

Is it possible to connect a Live Drive from a Soundblaster Live card to an Audigy soundcard on an XP Home system? Would I have to re-install drivers? TIA

Stuartli 09:08 21 Sep 2006

Perhaps you could explain in more detail why you would want to apparently connect one sound card to another?

Hertz Van Rentyl 09:54 21 Sep 2006

The connecting cable may be the biggest hurdle, if the pins are similar then it may be possible, however Creative seem to change the pin layouts in each version. Not sure how the drivers would fit as there are probably more functions on an Audigy than a Live. However you could have a go and see what happens you may get some connectivity if not all, as I say check the pin layouts first as this may be a crucial factor.

Hertz Van Rentyl 10:00 21 Sep 2006

Just found this may be of help in producing a custom cable, also some discussion of differences.click here

Hertz Van Rentyl 10:03 21 Sep 2006

This appears to be Audigy 2 sorry, by the sound of it the Audigy may be more compatible.

Hertz Van Rentyl 10:05 21 Sep 2006

This may be good newsclick here

corc2 00:06 23 Sep 2006

Hi there. The reason I ask is that I bought a SB Live + Live Drive from a boot sale. I already have an audigy player soundcard installed in my computer & I thought this may be a cheap way to add a Live Drive. I just wondered if they are compatible. basically all I want to know is - can I connect the Live Drive from an earlier Soundblaster Live Card to an Audigy card. Are they compatible? They seem to be the same, but will I have to install/reinstall drivers? Also, I am assuming it needs a seperate power supply.

corc2 00:08 23 Sep 2006

I have the cable to connect the live drive to the soundcard but not the power supply.

Hertz Van Rentyl 11:03 23 Sep 2006

Please read last click here all the way down and you need power to the box I think and a spare bay. Use a power splitter from somewhere nearby.

corc2 13:18 23 Sep 2006

Thanks very much for the information Hertz. Much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017