adding a second hard disc to windows 98

01chris 16:17 23 Mar 2005

i am fairly new to computing and would like to know how I go about adding a second hard disc to a pc running windows 98 (please tell me what positions to put the jumpers if there are two drives on one ide cable) and all the rest of the information about installing a second hard disc

thanks

Diodorus Siculus 16:23 23 Mar 2005

Set the jumpers as slave on the new drive. Then connect it to the ide cable and power cable.

Reboot and you will probably have to use a program like fdisk click here to parition it and then format from within windows.

Diodorus Siculus 16:24 23 Mar 2005

Cyber Tech Help - How to Install A Second Hard Drive as a Slave Drive in Win98 (Part 1)
click here

goonerbill © ® 16:27 23 Mar 2005

there are limitations on what size hard drive you can install in your pc due to having win98 and motherboard bios. if you can post back what motherboard you have, one of the other forum members will be of more assistance( can remember what max. hard disk size was with 98, 8gb i think). if you dont know what your mobo is use this link and download the home version and it will tell you anything that someone will ask you.

everest link....... click here

01chris 16:33 23 Mar 2005

so what is the cs jumper bit for?

ps thanks for quick response

pj123 17:31 23 Mar 2005

I have an 80gb (partitioned 2 x 40gb) and a 120gb (partitioned 1 x 20gb and 1 x 100gb) hard drive running on win 98SE no problems. They are both Maxtors and I did have to use Maxblast to set them up, a lot depends on your motherboard and BIOS.

BTW cs = cable select. I have never used it myself. (apologies to D-S)

Diemmess 17:42 23 Mar 2005

CS or CSL is a setting which allows your computer to sort itself out!.... this can be the best way, but will depend on the age/type of motherboard.

If you really mean you are inexperienced, then please consider unplugging the present HD while you are partitoning and formatting the new one(either power cable or data cable).... this way prevents the possibility of tears by selecting the wrong HD for format!

Again it depends very much on your hardware as well as 98SE, how large a partition can be recognised.

If you can download the correct manufacturer's "instant installation program" eg Maxblast for Maxtor HDs, you will have to rely on your 98 setup floppy.

Whichever, boot from the floppy and FDISK, and later FORMAT is available on that one, or tranfer the manufacturers download to a floppy and use that, its much much faster.

Diemmess 17:46 23 Mar 2005

If you can download the correct manufacturer's

Diemmess 17:48 23 Mar 2005

........If you can download the correct manufacturer's...............
Should read CAN'T not can.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:17 23 Mar 2005

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?