Adding a Router

Blubottle 16:53 04 Aug 2009

I have added a router to my desktop so that my daughter can use her laptop wirelessly. I have the desktop hard wired via the ethernet connection the laptop has been fitted with an wireless card. The question now is will I have to install my BB Isp user name and password detalis on her laptop to get it to connect.
regards

rawprawn 17:09 04 Aug 2009

When her computer finds your network you will have to enter your password to allow it to connect.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:37 04 Aug 2009

The question now is will I have to install my BB Isp user name and password detalis on her laptop to get it to connect.

No

If you have not set any security then anyone can access your wireless connection

Make sure you have set at least WPA protection on your router, when your daughter's laptop finds your network in range then she wil have to enter the security key to connect. No one without the key can connect.

How to set WPA on a router click here

tell us make and model of your router and I'm sure we can find details of how to set security.

golfpro 07:11 05 Aug 2009

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I need the same information I have two laptops (one XP and one Vista) also a desktop (XP) my SP is a local cable Co. I connect using a Linksys 54GL router and would like to set up a WPA on the router as it is unsecured at the moment how do I go about this (Simple instructions please).

Blubottle 09:49 05 Aug 2009

I am using a ZyXEL AG-120 wireless cardbus card in the laptop,so far I have installed it and the connect icon in the sys tray states that it is connected at 11.0 mbps with no signal strength albeit that it is positioned next to the router.
I think I may need some help setting up my ZyXEL card.

Blubottle 10:25 05 Aug 2009

Futher to last post, I seem to have solved this problem By disconnecting/reconnecting my router.I find this a bit strange I am using a NetgearDG 834G router are there any issues with this product that I don't know about
reagrds

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?