Adding RAM to speed up computer

dugit 15:53 08 Jan 2010

I have Packard Bell I media 5095 Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz 60GB hard disk (purchased in 2003), and was thinking about adding (present RAM is 512MB and max ram allowed is 1024)another RAM module of 512MB to speed up the computer.
My question is would it really speed up the computer much ?
If so where best to purchase a good quality module ?

bremner 15:54 08 Jan 2010

click here is the best place. You can run their scanner and it will tell you what to get.

I assume you are running XP, you will notice a difference, how much depends on what you are doing.

MAJ 15:56 08 Jan 2010

As bremner says, you will notice a difference depending on what you're doing. click here

bremner 17:53 08 Jan 2010

The minimum requirement for XP is 64MB and the recommended requirement 128MB.

512MB is in fact more than sufficient but if you run modern memory intensive applications then with 1024Mb you will notice a performance improvement.

GaT7 18:25 08 Jan 2010

"...to speed up the computer."

Other ways to speed up your computer - for free this time - is to:

1. Reinstall the OS afresh (don't forget that all important prior backup & making sure you have the Windows Product key to hand).

2. Clean up the system hard drive, i.e. make more space available by deleting the accumulated junk - especially if the hard drive is 50% or more full.

Let us know if you need any help with the above. G

dugit 18:46 08 Jan 2010

I reinstalled OS not long ago, also carry out disc clean up and defrag from time to time.
I notice for example that when Mcfee security downloads updates the pc clearly slows down.
I just wondered if I increased the RAM things would speed up a bit, but I may be expecting to much.

bremner 18:55 08 Jan 2010

MAJ link shows the cost to be £15 - a small price for what may be a noticable improvement.

You might want to have a look at what is running from start up as each takes memory and most are pointless and can be switched off.

At Run - Type msconfig

woodchip 19:33 08 Jan 2010

Its a big misconception, Stick More Ram in and it goes faster. As above other things will have better effect for nothing like Crossbow7 Post above also Bigger Faster Hard Drive will always make it faster. Do not load rubbish you do not want and be careful of what Updates you load, I have just Removed Net Framwork 3 and its update as this was killing my HP Laptop speed.

GaT7 20:21 08 Jan 2010

Looks like McAfee security is the main cause of the slow down.

£12.99 for equivalent Kingston RAM from Play click here. As bremner says, for the low cost it's worth a go.

As woodchip says, a bigger faster hard drive will help too. But the cost is likely to be prohibitive - that is unless you can get a cheap secondhand one off eBay for example. G

GaT7 20:23 08 Jan 2010

Or, Corsair RAM click here for the same money. G

dugit 20:34 08 Jan 2010

Do the two RAM modules have to be matching pairs?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone