Adding a new, but private page, to my website.

greybeard 12:34 22 Oct 2008

I should like to enable a new page on my website with access to it by adding "/newpage" or similar to the end of the normal URL.
This would mean I could put up a family gallery that only friends would have access to, by being told what the address is.

Do I add it to my index page in the usual way, but not have a link visible (like making the text colour the same as the background for instance), or is there an easier way ?
I'm using Homesite 4.5, but have got Dreamweaver 3, which I think I used to set up the code many years ago !

MTIA,

John

babybell 15:20 22 Oct 2008

If your telling them what the address is then why do you need a link on your index page. They can just type in yoursite/newpage.html for example and go straight to it?

greybeard 16:21 22 Oct 2008

I tried that, but it didn't work.
Mind you that's more than likely my fault, not the logic, so thank's for the confirmation that it should work :)

I'll try again.
Feeling my age,
John

Kemistri 16:57 22 Oct 2008

Don't forget to configure your robots file accordingly.

Kemistri 19:02 22 Oct 2008

In practice, I cannot imagine that any good hosting provider is going to be concerned by -- or even notice for that matter -- one or two orphaned HTML files and a few associated images. There are numerous legitimate and important reasons for using apparently orphaned files, such those that are loaded only by actions in PHP scripts, and their use is commonplace.

Kemistri 19:22 22 Oct 2008

You can expect the occasional flagged site to be checked by a human before action was taken -- they would have to be to avoid false positives.

greybeard 21:06 22 Oct 2008

Kemistri - "....robots file" ?

Is this regarding the info for the web spiders to find the page ? Will it not be found until they have it logged, as it will be a new page, rather than new material on an old page ?
Is there a different method that would let me post to an old page, and have it immediately available ?

Fourm - I don't think I have any problems with my host,but your reference to having all the pages linked to the index page I thought was necessary anyway, but your use of the word "orphans" suggests otherwise.

What if I put a link on each page, as my present site has for the other pages, but just make it hidden ?
If that would work, that would be the easiest route for me, as it would just mean cut/paste for the coding for the most part.
Thanks for your comments so far. and please keep them coming.
John

Kemistri 21:40 22 Oct 2008

You want this page to be private, right? Without requiring password access?

Then you need to prevent spiders from crawling it by modifying your robots.txt file. An example:

Useragent: *
Disallow: /folder/file.html

...for a single file, or:

Useragent: *
Disallow: /folder/

...for all that folder's contents.

Without this, it can appear in search results and then it is no longer just for your family. Password access would be preferable, of course, but I suspect that you don't want to do that.

greybeard 22:01 22 Oct 2008

Ah, slight problem. I don't have a robots.txt file.
If it's relevant, I'm using html 4.0 transitional.
Am I seriously behind the times ?

John

greybeard 22:10 22 Oct 2008

I've found a line in the code that reads
<META name="robots" content="index, follow">
but that's the only line that mentions robots.

John

Kemistri 23:53 22 Oct 2008

"Am I seriously behind the times ?"

Haha. Yes, probably!

It's no big deal that you don't have robots.txt yet. Just create one in Notepad or any other text/code editor. Format the lines exactly as I hinted, including the space after each colon. Place it in the public root of the server. click here for info.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017