Adding more memory

silverspawn 22:18 07 Aug 2010

I am planning on adding more memory to my computer it currently holds 2 corsair 2gb 800mhz sticks..so 4 gb in total, if I wanted to add more memory will I add the same spec or could I add 1 4gb stick so i have 8gb in total or will it confuse my computer? could I upgrade to the ddr3 memory or does that depend on my mother board?

thansk Jt

Peter 23:48 07 Aug 2010

If your running a 32 Bit version of Windows operating system Windows will only be able to use 3 to 3.75 Gig (approximately) of the 4GB of RAM that you have fitted. Adding more will not make any more available to Windows. To use more than 4GB you need a 64 Bit version of Windows.

To find out how much your motherboard can take, and what type, try the Crucial website
click here

Peter.

DieSse 17:55 08 Aug 2010

"I am planning on adding more memory to my computer"

Why? What do you want to do that makes you think more RAM would be better?

silverspawn 19:42 09 Aug 2010

I work with 3d and compositing apps which are all installed on my computer they take up a lot of space, it startring to slow slighlty from app to app.My sysytem is 64 bit vista:)

DieSse 19:50 09 Aug 2010

OK -

What's your motherboard make and model please.

How many slots does it have for RAM?

If it uses dual-access RAM, then it will work faster with matching pairs of RAM.

It can only be used with DDR3 if your motherboard supports DDR3 - it would also mean changing all your RAM to DDR3, but any increase in speed may be marginal, and swamped by the availability of more RAM.

As a guess without knowing the motherboard, and on the assumption you have two free slots, adding another similar pair to the pair you have would be probably best.

DieSse 19:51 09 Aug 2010

DDR3 is physically different to earlier types - so it's vanishingly unlikely that your motherboard can handle DDR3 if it's not already doing so (which I would infer from the speed you quote).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?