adding memory to toshiba laptop

oxparks 10:57 10 Apr 2009

I have a Toshiba Sat Pro U400 12Y. It came with 1GB of memory with capacity to install an additional 1GB. An IT colleague had a look under the cover on the underside of the machine to see where the new card would go. He said that sometimes when you install another card, it affects the existing memory, despite what manufacturers say...any comments from anyone on this point?

Also please can someone advise if this affects Toshiba Warranty? I don't see why since Toshiba themselves say you can add an additional module. But be glad to have a definitive view.

Many thanks

Pineman100 11:02 10 Apr 2009

If you let the Crucial System Scanner scan your system, it will recommend exactly what memory upgrade you can install. click here

Crucial memory modules have a very good name.

You'd need to read your warranty document to discover definitively whether this upgrade would affect it, but I would guess not (unless any fault could be directly attributed to your upgrade work).

MAJ 11:11 10 Apr 2009
  chub_tor 11:30 10 Apr 2009

Changed the two 512Mb in my Toshiba Sat Pro P100 to two 2Gb about a year ago. It is very simple to do and as far as I know it does not affect warranty. However I kept my old memory until after the warranty ran out "just in case". If you already have a single 1Gb and an empty slot I would suggest putting in a 2Gb unit into the spare slot. It makes the world of difference to Vista Home.

I didn't use Crucial, just the cheapest I could get at the time, not recommending that course of action but it worked for me.

MAJ 11:33 10 Apr 2009

"I would suggest putting in a 2Gb unit into the spare slot."

Maximum per slot is 1GB, chub_tor.

oxparks 14:42 11 Apr 2009

thanks everyone for the help! I will check out warranty first then if ok, go for Crucial.

chub_tor 13:48 12 Apr 2009

click here says maximum RAM is 4Gb, same as my P100

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?