adding memory

steve-252371 17:02 22 Aug 2007

I have an e machines desk top pc i want to increase the memory to i gig(it can accept up to two)the type of memory is ddr2 4300(533mhz).Can i simply buy the same type of memory and slot it in or is it worth paying pc world to do it?

umbongo(uk) 17:07 22 Aug 2007

buying yourself will be fine just take your time and all should go smoothly

it only a procces of taking side casing off pressing stick firmly into the empty slot by the existing memorey

all i say is remember to leave memorey in its package until you unplug remove side touch the case just to make sure you de staticise your self then remove from pakaging pres it firmly in replace all parts plug it in then boot it up

Diemmess 17:07 22 Aug 2007

Use Crucial's website to choose correct specs and then fit it yourself. click here#
Sensible prices good support and free delivery (at the moment)

Slithe 17:08 22 Aug 2007

I'd recommend using the Crucial Scanner - click here to scan your system - it will tell you the exact RAM you need, what your board can take (although you seem to know both bits already) and offer you a selection of RAM to chose from. I've used Crucial for RAM and they are a good company...

As for paying PC World to do it - hmmm. Adding RAM is one of the easiest things you can do in a desktop PC - if you've got the RAM you need, unplug the PC and any other leads, Earth yourself, open the back of the PC Case and you should find on the motherboard some existing RAM slots. If you're adding to increase to 1GB, then simply place the extra RAM into the spare slot, make sure it fits tightly and securely, close the case plug in and power up. Don't know how much PC World would charge to do that (quite a bit I'd imagine..)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?