adding hdd

kr42 11:42 20 Jan 2003
  kr42 11:42 20 Jan 2003

I have a 4Gb HDD which will run broadband.
my 30Gb is refusing to work correctly.
If I plug both HDD in and assign new drive to 30Gb disk, will the data on it be accessable.
Bearing in mind that both disk have Win 98 on them and both normally operate as C drive

jazzypop 11:59 20 Jan 2003

I am very confused about what you are trying to do.

Why do you need an additional drive to 'run broadband'?

What is wrong with your 30GB drive?

When you say 'assign new drive to 30Gb disk', do you mean to create an additional partition on the disk? And what data do you want to be accessible?

Are both drives currently setup as the primary drive in two different PCs?

If you can give more detail, I'm sure we can easily sort this out.

Meanwhile, I think that you may find this site helpful - click here - although as I don't fully understand your questions, I can't be sure.

jazzypop 12:53 20 Jan 2003

Received by email...

"When I tried to install broadband on 30Gb windows protection error came up. Removed HDD and fitted my old 4Gb drive. Installed Broadband ok. If I now plug my 30Gb back in can I run it as secondary drive without losing original data on it. thanks"

As a general point, it is more helpful to you if you reply using the message box at the bottom of the screen, rather than by using the email envelope icon. That way, everyone can see the progress of the thread, and contribute as they see fit.

To your problem - if your 4GB drive is working OK, then you should be able to add the 30GB drive by setting the jumper on it to Slave, and connecting a power and IDE cable. Once fitted, enter the BIOS, set the BIOS to autodetect the drive, and all should be well.

This should get you up and running, but a better long-term solution would be to install the 30GB disk as your main drive. The most likely cause of the Windows Protection Error would be that if it had been installed in a different PC, Windows would be expecting to find different drivers, relevant to the hardware on the previous PC.

If you need any further assistance with the details of anything outlined above, feel free to post back to this thread.

PA28 14:03 20 Jan 2003

You may need to be careful with your configuration settings in BIOS as otherwise W98 may only recognise a (small) part of your 30Gb drive (like about 8Gb). If you hit this problem then post back and I'll get the book out! Don't forget to configure the jumpers on the drives as master and slave - W98 will boot from the master.

stlucia 14:06 20 Jan 2003

Don't forget, when you add a second HDD you may need to set the jumper on the first drive to "master" as well as setting the jumper on the second drive to "slave".

This is because some (most??) drives have yet another setting for when they're working alone, as your 4Gb drive is at the moment.

Switcher 14:20 20 Jan 2003

It is possible to run with both HDD set to Master provided one is on Primary IDE Channel and one is on Secondary IDE channel that way you can decide which one boots by setting boot order in BIOS

stlucia 14:46 20 Jan 2003

Good point -- that avoids the need to change jumpers at all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone