Adding a Hard Drive

jameski 15:21 16 Oct 2004

Hi,

I've just upgraded my computer by adding a new processor AMD 2500, mother board, hard drive 80gig 133 and ram 256DDR. The computer is running XP professional. I've set up the original hard drive (30gig)as master and the new unformatted driver as slave on the primary connector. The BIOS recognises the new drive at start up. However,I cannot see the new drive once XP has loaded. Please can you advise how I can find and format the new drive and once formatted copy across all my files e.g. AOL account, paypal details etc. Am I doing this the wrong way around? Should I set my new drive as the master and re-install XP. Will this cause a problem with re-registering?

Thank you

James

Diodorus Siculus 15:29 16 Oct 2004

Right click on my computer

choose manage

then disk management

within there it should be possible to see it and format / partition it.

woodchip 15:30 16 Oct 2004

You need a partitioning software program as Acronis, you then create your partitions and format with the same program. By using the above you are less likely to mess your C:\ Drive up. the Other way is remove you C:\Drive Power cable set the new drive to master and use a floppy disc to Fdisk and format it. The only problem is that you will only be able to set a Fat file system with Fdisk. With Acronis you have a choice.

jameski 15:41 16 Oct 2004

Thanks,
I've used computer management to format the drive. Any suggestions on copying the files across? I want to make the new drive the master as it is quicker, how should I go about loading XP on it and all my AOL setting?

James

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:19 16 Oct 2004

Hard Disk Back UP:-
XXCopy click here will make an image of your current master. copy to slave-switch off swap drives (and jumper settings) reboot

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?