adding a graphics card

kalstras 19:17 19 Apr 2007

if the graphics card slows my machine down and i want to go back to the "Onboard graphics" can I disable the new card and reinstall my onboard to function without removing the new card?

skidzy 19:42 19 Apr 2007

If the bios lets you..yes
Once the card has been disabled in Device manager,goto your bios and activate the onboard graphics...assuming it dosnt auto enable once the card has been uninstalled/disabled.

kalstras 19:46 19 Apr 2007

thanks, the reason is this;

I have an onboard PSU of 200w, the new graphics card manufacterers state that this will be sufficient, but that more PSU wattage would be better. I cannot find a MicroATX 400w PSU anywhere, so I was going to go ahead and install the graphics card in hopes that this would be okay. If not want to just go into the bios as you say and re-enable it. I of course would also have to reinstall the driver, as before I install the card it asks me to uninstall the onboard memory driver.

Totally-braindead 19:47 19 Apr 2007

As skidzy has said yes if the BIOS supports it. But most don't. Usually the onboard graphics is automatically disabled when a seperate graphics card is detected.

Its hypothetical anyway, with a seperate graphics card more memory will be free for windows so everything should be quicker anyway.

skidzy 19:53 19 Apr 2007
  skidzy 19:54 19 Apr 2007

Sorry wrong link..lost my page now...back soon.

Totally-braindead 19:59 19 Apr 2007

Could only find one and its pricey click here you would be cheaper buying a new case and power supply and transerring everything I think.
Others click here only 270watts click here another 270w

skidzy 20:00 19 Apr 2007

I have fitted this psu last year to a ATX Micro case.click here

Totally-braindead 20:02 19 Apr 2007

PC World have 2 a 230 watt and a 300 watt click here= and click here=

Might be enough maybe.

What graphic card did you buy?

kalstras 20:05 19 Apr 2007

Thanks for the info, I bought a Radeon 9250 PCI Card

Totally-braindead 20:16 19 Apr 2007

That should be ok unless you have a load of extras on your PC.
Since its a PCI card and not an AGP or PCI Express card it may not disable the onboard automatically, you might have to disable it from the BIOS. My mates Emachine PC was like that and it was a PCI card he installed as he didn't have a graphics card slot.
You'll just have to try it to be sure.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017