Adding files to existing files on DVD-RW

tarren 19:47 05 Sep 2006

Hi,

I have uploaded files, 256megs, to a DVD-RW, the disk size is 4.5gbts.
However, I now want to write more files to disk but am informed disk is full and to insert blank disk. Any advise would be gratefully received.

ade.h 20:26 05 Sep 2006

There are two ways that I write files to an optical disc; Sonic DLA and Windows' own Roxio-based drg and drop system. Both allow files to be added ad infinitum until the disc is full (though DLA has to be used if I want Windows to write to a DVD, by giving it a drive letter). Whatever software you have used has closed the disc for some reason (probably because you asked it to do so without realising).

tarren 05:49 06 Sep 2006

Hi ade.h,

Many thanks for your info, it was indeed a setting in Nero Smartstart.

If I could ask another question, I am not able to modify the stored files, I am informed that the disk is read only, is there a way round this?
even if I use another prog to burn the files.

nob14 10:09 06 Sep 2006

Copy the files onto your PC then modify.

tarren 14:53 06 Sep 2006

Thank you nob14, I was hopeing I could have modified the files directly in situ, ie the DVD disk, for example, to delete them if required., but thanks again.

tarren.

ade.h 15:24 06 Sep 2006

No,once files go to an optical disc, they are readable or deletable, and of course, you can add more files if the disc hasn't been closed. If you add newer versions of the same files, you'll get the usual prompt; when you confirm that, the new version will be added on the end and the reference to the original version will be removed from the CD file structure, which gets appended. So although the old file is still there, you can't see it.

nob14 15:29 06 Sep 2006

Can't be done like the man says. Save to Pc modify then save back.

tarren 17:51 06 Sep 2006

Thank you for all your help, nob14, was much appreciated.

tarren.

tarren 17:53 06 Sep 2006

I also meant to include ade.h in my thanks.

BRYNIT 20:15 06 Sep 2006

The only way of accessing files and changing them on a DVD-RW disk is to use something like Nero InCD to format the disk first. If you do not have InCD you can down load from click here

ade.h 20:18 06 Sep 2006

Or DLA, which works very differently to anything else.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?