Adding extra memory

WtheM 12:26 21 Aug 2003

Hi,
I'm adding more memory. Is it just a case of physically putting it into the PCI slot or do i need to make any other changes?
I'm running XP.
Thanks.

Bebee 12:30 21 Aug 2003

You won't need to make any other changes. Just put it in the slot and it should be recognised on reboot - providing it's compatible with what's already there.

Ben Avery 12:33 21 Aug 2003

Don't put it in the PCI slot as it won't fit! :o)

Turn off PC. Make sure you are static free (wrist srtap or touch the metal chassis (housing) of the PC before you start.

For risk of starting a war, unplug your PC from the wall too (guys, leave it alone this time, it's only a memory stick, ok?).

Slot the new memory module into the next available DIMM slot (it's easy to locate as you'll already have a memory stick in one already) and then reboot the PC.

If you get any beeps from the PC pre-booting, note them and try re-seating the memory.

If the beeps still occur post back with the exact beeps (long/short/how many)

All the best!

BA

stop at the lights

to begin with Memory modues do not fit into PCI slots.

Read your motherboard manual to find out exactly what you need and where to put it. as Bebee says if you match what is already there you should be OK but some chipsets will only support so much. Read The Manual, if you havent got it download it.

Cesar 12:50 21 Aug 2003

Before adding memory
click here

Eye No Nuffin 13:49 21 Aug 2003

WtheM,

I had a very sad experience of adding extra memory into my pc. See '256 DDR SDRAM conflct with XP Home', last response dated 29.06.03.

Don't do what I did and use the cheapest on the market.

Moral of story is to only buy from a reputable company.

Ben Avery 14:22 21 Aug 2003

only buy crucial and you can't go wrong!

BA

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?