adding an external dvd writer to a laptop

2shortplanks 10:18 14 Aug 2007

Hi people, help a complete idiot with little technological awareness please....
I have a Compaq Presario M2000 laptop using Windows XP. The internal drive has gone kaput and as space wasn't a problem (and someone advised me it was cheaper than getting an internal replacement....) I have purchased an external dvd writer - Liteon 20x - instead.
I plug everything in and can hear the writer power up, but nothing works. I've tried installing hardware via the control panel but this doesn't work either.
On another issue, I've bought another printer - HP Deskjet D1400 series - that I can't install until the disc drive is operational!
Thanks!

Quiller. 11:04 14 Aug 2007

You may have to install the software from the cd before you plug in the dvd drive. Catch22. Did it come with an instalation disk.

When you plugged in the dvd writer did windows search for drivers?

If it did, it would be worth downloading the drivers from the manufacturers website to your desktop. Running the exe from there and then plug in the dvd drive.

If you can't find the drivers, post the model of the lite drive here. Someone might point you in the right direction.

PS

When you have the drive connected, is there any yellow warning marks in device manager.

2shortplanks 11:20 14 Aug 2007

Hi,
checking device manager it says "Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (code 41)
Any ideas?

Quiller. 11:29 14 Aug 2007

Ah thats complicated one.

It needs a regedit alteration to fix it. click here

Back up the registry first or don't do it if you are unsure.

2shortplanks 12:07 14 Aug 2007

Thanks a lot, I followed the instructions and the new drive was recognised immediately. All I have to do now is find a way of reading .Pub files that are on the first disc I'm trying to read.......!
Thanks a million for the help though!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?