Adding a Dynamic Disk to my new PC ( Windows 7)?

Tinkey Winkey 19:08 03 May 2010

I have a backup drive with documents & photos etc from my old Win XP Pro computer, which was set up under an IDE SATA configuration in the BIOS.
In disk management on my old PC, I see that it is a Dynamic disk, even though the OS drive is a Basic disk.

Can I just add the backup drive internally to my new Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit computer which is configured as AHCI for the SATA configuration in the BIOS?

Will my new PC be able to access it?
Is it possible the drive may become corrupt as I don't want to risk loosing the data?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:22 03 May 2010

Dynamic disks can contain a large number of dynamic volumes (approximately 2000) that function like the primary partitions used on basic disks. In some versions of Windows, you can combine separate dynamic hard disks into a single dynamic volume (called spanning), split data among several hard disks (called striping) for increased performance, or duplicate data among several hard disks (called mirroring) for increased reliability.

Windows 7 (not starter) support spanning and striping dynamic disks, but not mirroring.

But for simple backing up the answer is yes

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:39 25 Oct 2010

Ignore above post its SPAM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?