Adding desktop to network causes laptop to lose co

Onizuka 16:57 27 Nov 2009

I have a Dell XPS 420 desktop running Windows Vista Home Premium connected to the internet via Virgin 10mbs broadband. Having recently bought a Dell Studio 15 laptop which came with Windows 7 and built-in WiFi I ordered from Virgin a Wireless “N” Router and also a Wireless “N” Adapter for the desktop computer. They delivered a D-Link DIR-615 Wireless N Router and a Netgear RangeMax Wireless-N USB 2.0 Adapter.

I installed the D-Link software on the laptop and with some assistance from Virgin Support set up a network. It works perfectly and the laptop connects to it and the internet usually within seconds of switching on. However, having installed the Netgear software and USB adapter on the desktop, as soon as I try to connect the desktop to my network, the laptop loses connection, my network name vanishes from the list of available networks and the desktop can’t find any networks at all, even though they show on the laptop.

I’ve tried every conceivable variation of settings in the network control panel and as I really can’t face the prospect of another hour and a half on the phone to Virgin can any forum member help with an idiot’s guide please?

I assume you got the Laptop first and was working before you turned on the PC. It's possible the Laptop is picking up the PCs USB wireless point so go into the Laptop's wireless control and configure it to ignore (or delete) that connection. Hope that helps.

Onizuka 11:51 29 Nov 2009

cantthinkofanick
Yes, the laptop was working fine before I turned on the PC. This morning I turned on the laptop without turning on the PC, it connected to my network almost before it had even finished booting up and I saw your post. I then switched off the laptop and re-installed the Netgear software and USB adapter on the PC. However, when I reached the point of trying to connect to my network it found it for a second or two and then the network vanished. Despite scanning for networks several times it couldn’t find any. I shut down the PC and switched on the laptop to find that it didn’t display my own network, only a couple of BTHomeHub networks with very weak signals and which I assume must belong to neighbours. I turned off the laptop, switched off the router and modem for half a minute and then turned the laptop back on and it connected to my network straightaway, showing 100% strength. It would seem to me that the Netgear software and adapter on the PC are doing something to the router rather than the laptop picking up the PC’s USB wireless point as you suggested might be happening. I have also tried connecting the PC with Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 turned off but this made no difference.

In my original post I deliberately mentioned needing an idiot’s guide as this is my first attempt at wireless networking and instructions on the Installation Wizard such as “Review the settings” don’t help if you don’t understand their significance. Has anybody any suggestions please?

User-1229748 15:23 29 Nov 2009

what wi fi card has the studio got?wireless n ?

mgmcc 15:23 29 Nov 2009

Silly question but, if the Desktop PC previously connected directly to the Cable Modem, is there any reason why you can't now connect it directly by ethernet cable to the Router, rather than trying to connect "wirelessly"?

A wired connection will always be more reliable than a wireless one so, unless you need portability or the location prevents the use of an ethernet cable, I'd be inclined to stick with a cable.

Onizuka 16:38 29 Nov 2009

mgmcc – I don’t know why you thought it was a silly question. Your suggestion worked immediately for which I’m extremely grateful. I’m embarrassed to admit that it never occurred to me and I suppose I just assumed that if the laptop was wirelessly connected the PC also had to be. I will happily mark this as Resolved thanks to you although if anyone can suggest why the Netgear Adapter seemed to wipe out my network I would be interested.

I just wish the instruction manuals didn’t always assume a certain level of knowledge, and I particularly wish that Windows didn’t tell you to “Contact your Administrator” when there’s a problem. If you’re the sole user and Administrator, who do you turn to? Thank goodness for the PC Advisor Forums!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?