adding a contact form to my site

jacobjohn7 14:22 03 Aug 2008

Hi,
could someone kindly direct me with a problem i have encountered. I am using dreamweaver, i know where all the form items are and how to place them, question is how do you produce a form that is pulls all the answers together and sends them as an email request. Any help greatly appreciated.
PS: i know nothing AT ALL about code, but cobble them together through designer interface, being a graphic designer.
Many thanks
John

Kemistri 16:02 03 Aug 2008

(I have a feeling of deja vu....)

You validate and parse form data into an e-mail, database entry, or HTML output using PHP.

jacobjohn7 19:08 03 Aug 2008

sorry for covering old ground.. but its a first for me... i have the form done now, only thing is cant find any area to type in the link so that the info goes off somewhere... any answers in plain english appreciated.

gerri-atrick 19:28 03 Aug 2008

ahhhh another one .....frommail from here click here try it its easy and safe, i use it a lot :)

Kemistri 01:27 10 Aug 2008

Are you still stuck? Sorted?

jacobjohn7 20:40 10 Aug 2008

hi gerri, and thanks for link, well i have downloaded, but what now... i have the code, but do i have to amend the code (which will be v much beyond me) or do i paste in the code. I have actually created the look and content of the form in dreamweaver, so i presume i have fit this in somewhere ... put the code somewhere, question is where. Many thanks for all help so far.

gerri-atrick 21:36 10 Aug 2008

click here will answer all your questions :)

jacobjohn7 22:03 10 Aug 2008

hi thanks for that gerri... i have had a look through that already, but I am not grasping it... i cant get my head behind the rationale... procedures of this. I have a form created in dreamweaver... do i paste the code within my contacts page html file... or do I upload the code to the server seperately, and it finds it place?? I must stress i know nothing about coding and when i look at it, i dont know where or what to amend... surely if you can create a form on dreamweaver then surely you can configure it to send info to an email address, rather like the mailto command for a normal email link... cheers.
here is the page in question... click here

Kemistri 22:11 10 Aug 2008

Simple general steps as follows:

1. Write your HTML mark up.
2. Create or adapt a PHP script.
3. Call the file like this:

<form method="post" action="script.php">
form continues.....
</form>

4. Place the script on the server in the same folder as the mark up.

Now test your form and the PHP's security to make sure that it works as expected.

jacobjohn7 22:47 11 Aug 2008

Hi kemistri, is there anywhere I can go for ABSOLUTE beginners with regard to forms... is there an easy way..? It will seem easy to yourself, but I do not understand code at all, (as I have said) so point number 1 is already a confusing area for me... all I know about is how to create an HTML file via dreamweavers design side (NOT code) sorry to explain this again, but you guys who are conversant with code must understand that someone coming on here without knowledge of code, and with a problem can't understand references to anything suggesting writing any code... however simple.. with PHP, for example do you insert PHP within HTML files, or do they sit seperately.. to add further confusion someone else has advised that I look for a CGI form template... the site is on 123reg server (not my choice) anyway, all help and time to given to give help is appreciated. John

jacobjohn7 22:49 11 Aug 2008

ie: what is the 'mark up' ? I put my html files up to the server and it adds the relevent graphic files needed automatically..... so where does the from details go?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie