Adding another IDE port

Muckleface 12:32 26 Nov 2003

Hi,

I currently have two optical drives plugged into one of my IDE ports on my motherboard, and two hard disk drives plugged into the other IDE port on my motherboard.

I want to add another optical drive to my PC, but I dont have an IDE port to plug t into!

So far the only solution I can find is a "USB 2.0 to IDE Adaptor" which is on sale for £29.99 at Maplin.

What is the cheapest and/or easiest way to add another IDE slot to my PC or is the above mentioned adapter my only option?

Cheers,

Jordan

Jester2K II 12:36 26 Nov 2003

You can also buy PCI IDE Cards for about £20.

click here

stlucia 12:36 26 Nov 2003

The neatest solution, for about the same price, is to install an adapter card inside your PC. Maxtor Ultra ATA/133 PCI adaptor is one which, I believe, gives you two extra IDE plugs.

Muckleface 12:44 26 Nov 2003

I do have a Serial ATA RAID function on my motherboard, but I cant get it to work with an optical drive, it only seems to work when I use a HDD (which I dont want to do as I used to have both my HDDs on it but had major problems with RAID and lost a lot of data). Ive tried EVERYTHING to get it to work but it just wont do it! It has a phobia of optical drives!

Jordan

stlucia 12:50 26 Nov 2003

In my opinion, if you are simply looking to install extra devices, steer clear of the adapter cards which also have RAID functions. I tried one once and, in a nutshell, it was so unreliable that I got my money back on it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires