Adding additional graphics card

  silverspawn 14:56 15 Jan 2009


Currently my computer runs on a quadro graphics card, but rather than shelling out to buy a console to play games when Im not learning 3d modelling and animation, would a games graphics card be compatible with my existing one?

thanks in advance


  iscanut 15:02 15 Jan 2009

The question should be would a fast new graphics card be compatible with my system. Not a question as to whether it would be Ok with your current card, which would have to be removed. What is your PC, OS,Ram etc..?

  silverspawn 15:09 15 Jan 2009


currently running on a 64 vista,
4gb ram & 500hd,
quad-core Q4400 pentium.
quadro graphics card.


  MAT ALAN 15:22 15 Jan 2009

Adding additional graphics card

Your question suggests you want to run two cards in SLI if this is the case you will need to know if your MOBO is SLI compliant then you will have to but an EXACT SAME card as the one you have...

  iscanut 15:46 15 Jan 2009

Should have said " may have to be removed" as MAT has raised the question of SLI.

  DieSse 17:39 15 Jan 2009

Yes you can run two graphics cards in your system - Windows has been capable of that back as far as Win98.

However, you have to have somewhere to plug them both into - so it depends on your motherboard and what type of available slots you have left.

And it also depends on your PSU being of sufficient capacity.

  rustyboy 11:37 16 Jan 2009

There are a great deal of unknowns in the information you have given us.
Details of what motherboard you are using would enable us to advise you a little better.

IF you motherboard isnt SLI or XFIRE capable and IF it and your PSU are able to run it and IF your budget allows it then a decent alternative to SLI / XFIRE would be something like this
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?