Adding 2nd HDD, couple of questions/observations

[email protected] 11:05 27 Feb 2007

I am installing a 2nd HDD for a relative. The intention is for it to be simply additional storage. The existing drive is C. The new HDD is installed and recognised as Primary Slave and I have initalised it. I am at the point of choosing a Drive Letter and formatting. I have no problem with deciding it's going to be a Primary partition and will be formatted NTFS but the Drive Letter thing has got me a bit puzzled? I would have thought if you are just extending storage of C, then the new drive would stay C! I have Googled and read a lot and it would appear the new drive has to be something other than C. OK, I bow to superior knowledge but normally when you install a program for example, you are asked to confirm the path of installation. Do you just continue to say C until you get a response something like "Sorry, C is full, choose D or whatever you named the new HDD"? Can someone switch the light on please :-)

Batch 11:13 27 Feb 2007

By deafult, the new drive will take the next available drive letter, maybe D or E or F, depending upon what other drives (e.g. CD, DVD) that you have installed. You can always change the drive letter later.

If existing C is so full you have no room for additional programs, youd' be far better off moving some of the data to the new drive once it is installed. Although you can install programs elsewhere other than C:\Program Files, it makes sense to keep them all together.

terryf 11:48 27 Feb 2007

After you fit the 2nd drive, Go to OE>tools>options>maintenance and click on Store Folder to find out its location. Write this down. Go to Control panel>Folder options>view and put a dot into Show hidden files and folders and untick Hide protested system files (you will get a nag message but ignore it). Now make your way to the location you wrote down for the store folder and copy the whole folder to a folder called 'OE store folder' on D drive. Go back to OE>tools>options>maintenance and click on Store Folder and change its location to d:\ OE store folder. Then when you are happy that this works delete the first folder on C: or (belt and braces)move it to D:
You can also always save data to folders on D: instead of the standard Msoft locations on C: like 'my documents, etc'

[email protected] 12:29 27 Feb 2007

Hmmm, the owners and their children are new to the computer and learning is very much under the MS umbrella. I begin to think it would be better for them if I moved the contents of their old HDD (20G) to the new HDD (160G) and left the old one in as spare. This way it would be the standard MS locations for some time to come and hopefully they will be more PC aware when it comes time to use it. Welcome any comments.

[email protected] 12:35 27 Feb 2007

One last question: In a Master/Slave situation, what are the occasions Windows will install anything onto the Slave by default, as the normal path is C:\? How does it see F as an extension when it has another name/letter - is it the Slave title?
Am I making this unnecessarily complicated?

keef66 12:45 27 Feb 2007

Clone the contents of the existing drive onto the new one. (most HDD manufacturers have a utility to do this, it's supplied on disk with a retail HDD, or you can download it if it's OEM)

Then install the new 160 gig HDD as master which will presumably become C: by default. If you feel you need the additional 20gb for storage, you can always install the old drive as slave and delete the contents by formatting. (I wouldn't bother myself, especially if it's slower than the new one)

[email protected] 12:48 27 Feb 2007

Thanks keef66, I think that's the way to go. Cheers.

terryf 14:14 27 Feb 2007

I suggest that if you keep the smaller drive as C and only have programs and operating system on it, (I only use 16gb of my C drive) and use the bigger drive for all other stuff as I described above, IMO you will be better off. I and lots of others use Acronis True Image to backup C drive (holding only OS and progs) and it takes less than 15 min to restore you to a clean shiny system, all you data, pics, docs emails, etc. are safely on D and don't get affected if you have a system crash.

keef66 15:38 27 Feb 2007

I was taking the opposite approach; I'd rather have everything on one large hdd and regularly back up the entire thing to an external drive.

In your example above "all your data, pics, docs emails, etc. are safely on D" is only true until the D drive fails.

I suppose the best bet is to do as you suggest but then back both drives up regularly.

I'm pathological about having my digital pics in at least 2 places, and I think if you unplug it once backup is complete, the external hard drive is safer than 2 mirrored drives in the pc.
I suppose overkill would involve 2 internal drives in mirrored raid and backups to an external drive.

Batch 16:21 27 Feb 2007

I think I can go one better on back-ups.

I have 2nd HDD in main PC with backups of data and several Acronis images of system drive (os & pgms). Then I have a lappie which has data and images on it as well. Plus occassional BUs to CD / DVD kept at an "offsite" location.

Me paranoid? Nah!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?