Added more memory - no difference

[email protected]@m 11:44 02 Dec 2003

I've just added 256 MB of DIMM to give a total of 512 MB. I did this on the advice of Belarc Advisor, and also because my neighbour gets a higher score on 3D Mark benchtest!

I am somewhat disappointed that my score remains the same. Is this because the memory has no affect on benchmark scores, as I had thought? In fact, I cannot detect any difference in performance at all.

Pentium 4, 1.6 BHz processor, running XP.

sil_ver 12:07 02 Dec 2003

I think your scores are more to do with your Graphics card spec and settings than memory.

[email protected]@m 12:14 02 Dec 2003

Thanks, yes I agree with you there. So have I wasted my money, then?

ThePharcyde007 12:15 02 Dec 2003

No for multiple applications open it will run more smoothly

Djohn 12:16 02 Dec 2003

Morning [email protected]@m, The CPU and graphics card will affect your score on the 3D test more so than memory. You will notice a differ enc in the added memory though when having several applications open at the same time, or dealing with large files.

Especially anything to do with graphics. Your PC will be able to hold more information in the memory, rather than having to constantly refer to the hard drive for read/write. j.

[email protected]@m 12:20 02 Dec 2003

Thanks, anyone got any large files I can borrow? :-)

Djohn 12:23 02 Dec 2003

Only a metal one [email protected]@m, it makes a bit of a rasp though! ;o)

[email protected]@m 12:34 02 Dec 2003

:-)

I can remember downloading a catalogue in Excel format, any suggestions of a site where something similar could be obtained?

Djohn 12:56 02 Dec 2003

click here Scroll down to the bottom of the page and you can download the catalogue in CSF format. j.

[email protected]@m 13:10 02 Dec 2003

I've copied that into Excel, see if I can split it into columns later.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

5 best 3D model websites

iPhone 8 vs iPhone X

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache