add win 2k pro to xp system for dual boot?

acrobat270 14:02 14 Aug 2003

Have a laptop currently running win xp pro. Need to also have win2k available. Can i set up dual boot on the laptop without losing all data from hard drive and having to reinstall from scratch?

Dunks

hugh-265156 14:13 14 Aug 2003

yes just use partition magic 8 and boot magic.

click here for tutorial videos.easy peasy.

acrobat270 05:15 15 Aug 2003

Thanks huggyg71. i watched the tutorial. Seems straight forward, except the example has a drive that already has 2 partitions. 1 for windows and 1 for data 9labelled c and d respectively. my hard drive only has one containing everything. is this a problem?

zanwalk 05:25 15 Aug 2003

No, its not a problem at all, PM can create another partition for you. What you must do before starting though, is back up all important data, settings, etc., as although everything should be OK, it is possible to lose data in an operation of this sort, and Powerquest also advise you to do this.

In an ideal situation you would take an image of your current HD and save it to CD-R, using Powerquest's Drive Image or similar. That way you would have a complete backup of everything on your HD.

acrobat270 05:40 15 Aug 2003

Thanks Rayburn....

Having made this extra partition, i assume I move all my data files across manually? What happens to data file locations set by software when you install it? (eg video editing suite has automatically created a file in my documents on the current c drive)

zanwalk 06:00 15 Aug 2003

Your problem with data is that unfortunately the two OS's are unable to 'see' each other as Boot Magic hides whichever partition you are not using if it contains an OS. The answer to that is to have a seperate data partition after the first OS partition, which should become 'D', and then this will be visible whichever OS you are using, as each OS will be automatically 'C' when in use.

This is the system I use (with three different OS's) and it works well.

temp003 06:04 15 Aug 2003

Unless your hard disk on the laptop has an extra partition in which to install w2k, or has unpartitioned or unallocated space from which to create a new partition (unlikely for a laptop), you'll need partitioning software to resize your C partition and make room for a new partition. Take huggyg71's suggestion. Partition Magic is probably the best in the field.

After creating the new partition using PM, the next decision is whether to use Bootmagic (which comes with PM), or use w2k's own dual boot function.

Note that if you use bootmagic, when you're in one OS, you can't see the other OS's partition. Also, bootmagic cannot be installed on an NTFS partition. So if you're going to use bootmagic, you should (1) format the new partition on FAT32 file system, and (2) create another FAT32 partition for putting any data or other files which you need to access from either OS.

Personally I think it's better to use w2k's native dual boot function (same as XP's). It is simpler, and the two OS's can read files on each other's partition, as long as the file system is the same.

If you decide not to use bootmagic, then when you create the new partition with PM, DO NOT set the new partition as an Active Partition.

Then before you install w2k, take this step if your laptop did not come with an XP Pro CD, or if the CD is a recovery CD, not the normal installation CD.

Make a backup of 3 files on the C drive: ntldr, ntdetect.com and boot.ini

If you don't see them, in My Computer, click Tools, Folder Options, View tab. (1) Tick "Show hidden files and folders (2) Untick "Hide file extensions for known file types" (3) Untick "Hide protected operating system files". (4) Click OK.

Then put in a floppy disk, right click Drive A and select Format. On the next window, just click Start, and do NOT tick any of the available options. After formatting, copy the 3 files to the floppy.

When you have created a new partition using PM (or if you already have a free partition), just restart computer with w2k CD. If the CD starts to autorun, just exit it, but leave CD in and restart. Enter w2k Setup, follow the prompts, remembering the choice is always to install a fresh copy of w2k.

When asked where to install w2k, highlight the new partition and press Enter to install it. When asked whether to format the partition, it depends on whether you've formatted it already. If not, then choose format with NTFS or FAT32, the one which the XP partition is using. If already properly formatted with the correct file system of your choice, then select "leave existing file system intact". Then continue with the installation.

w2k Setup will restart into GUI mode, after which it will restart again. This time you'll see a boot menu for "Windows 2000 Professional" and "Windows XP Professional".

Choose w2k. Don't try to get into XP yet (if you do, you'll get an error message saying some XP registry file is missing or corrupt - which is a misleading error message).

Once w2k is loaded, just install the essential drivers first (which w2k hasn't got), and leave the fine-tuning for later. If you need to restart, always boot back into w2k.

Once the essential things have been installed, in w2k, double click My Computer, click Tools, Folder Options, View tab and follow the same 4 steps above to let you see the operating system files on the C drive.

Insert the floppy where you have earlier copied the 3 files.

Then go to Drive A, and copy ntldr and ntdetect.com (but NOT boot.ini) from the floppy to C:. If you have the XP CD, copy the 2 files (which are in the CD's i386 folder) to the C drive.

When warned and asked whether to overwrite the 2 existing files, say yes. [The reason is during w2k installation, w2k setup put its old version of the 2 files on to C. You need to put the XP version back. Boot.ini is however fine.]

Now you've completed the dual boot, and when you do select XP from the boot menu, you'll go into it without problem (hopefully).

Finish with the w2k fine-tuning.

If you want to restore XP as the default OS on the boot menu, in either OS, right click My Computer, Properties, Advanced tab, Startup and Recovery (and then if you're in XP, click Settings as well).

Under System Startup, default operating system, click the drop down list and select XP. You can also change to time for display of list of OS's from 30 seconds to a shorter time (no shorter than 5 seconds to be realistic). Click OK.

Make sure before you install w2k, that you have all the necessary w2k drivers for your laptop hardware.

temp003 06:11 15 Aug 2003

Sorry, by the time I finished with my very long-winded post (frightening, I must control myself), there have been further postings.

As rayburn says, the choice is either use bootmagic and create a separate partition for common data files, or not use bootmagic and use xp and w2k's native multiple boot function (but you can still use PM to create a extra partition for data whichever way you choose, it's a good idea any for a single OS set-up).

I have nothing against bootmagic. It's great, especially when you're getting PM anyway, but I just think the other way is easier.

zanwalk 08:56 15 Aug 2003

Not long-winded, just very comprehensive! Well done.

I thought it strange that you hadn't replied to this thread - now I know why!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?