Add Specific Symbol Buttons to Word Toolbars

DennisD 03:21 26 Oct 2006

Hello. I have a question regarding Word 2003 (as part of Office Pro 2003).

I'm a technical writer, & a few years ago, a co-worker helped me set up buttons on my Word toolbar that allow me to insert specific symbols simply by selecting the button. (For example, if I want to instantly insert a "degree" symbol, I just go up to the toolbar, select the assigned button, & it pops right into the document. I prefer that for frequently-used symbols, & it's much better than going through Insert, Symbol or having to use keyboard shortcuts.

Now here's the problem: I don't remember how my friend set this up, & I she is no longer around to ask. I can come close I think: by going under Tools, Customize, Insert, Symbol, & dragging the Symbol icon to the toolbar. But then I still have to navigate through the symbols to find what I need (I can't customize the toolbar beyond this point). It's just not the same.

I'd really like to know how this was done, & I'd be very appreciative to any Word afficianados who can help. (Please be specific with your instructions.) And I think this would be an handy trick for other Word users. Thanks in advance.

Simsy 05:46 26 Oct 2006

is to record a macro inserting a sign, and assign that macro to a button.

Are you ok doing that?

Regards,

Simsy

DennisD 00:41 27 Oct 2006

Thanks for your response Simsy.

I suppose my toolbar could have been set up with macros--I'm not familiar enough with marcros to say for sure.

The buttons on the toobar can simply be pushed (no macro opened visibly), & the symbol was popped into the text--pretty seamless. And as I said, better than keyboard shortcuts.

Do you simply record a macro of inserting a symbol (via Insert, Symbol, & find a specific one), then stop the macro's recording? Please advise if possible. (I think I could edit the appearance of the button on the toolbar simply enough.)

Simsy 07:41 27 Oct 2006

That's correct.

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017