Add / Remove Uninstaller Crashes PC

thegripper 17:31 25 Mar 2006

Whenever I try and remove a program via the Add / Remove in Control Panel I get the uninstall dialogue window coming up and then the system just hangs, Ctrl Alt Del does nothing. Have to power down and start system again.

Strange.

I'd appreciate any advice.

Dave

howard63 07:53 26 Mar 2006

first make sure your antivirus and malware stuff is up to date and check everything. If nothing found run - sfc /scannow - you will need your xp cd.

thegripper 15:37 26 Mar 2006

I've run Norton AV and Ewido Anti-malware without finding any serious issues.

I've just run sfc /scannow and get the following message :

"Files that are required by Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL cache - insert your Windows XP Home Edition CD"

Problem is that I don't have a Windows CD. It's an Advent PC which came with a set of recovery discs.

alan227 18:19 26 Mar 2006

If it came with two disks have a read of this post.

click here

thegripper 19:06 26 Mar 2006

Thanks for that. I'm pushed for time right now, and since it's not a problem that is stopping the PC I'll leave it until I have more time.

Thanks very much for pointing me in the right direction. I appreciate it.

thegripper 19:34 28 Mar 2006

I've read the thread, and done some more research on the web. It seems that the recovery discs I have (x 3) will completely wipe the drive, being a ghost image from day 1.

This is a last resort for me. Is it possible to use someone elses XP disc to replace the missing files ?

thegripper 14:39 16 Apr 2006

I thought I would post how I resolved this as it's probably useful for a number of similar problems -

The files needed from the XP disc (which I don't have)are in the I386 folder. I borrowed a friends disc, and copied the entire folder to the root directory on C: I then changed the registry to look in the root directory for the files rather than the CD drive [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\setup]
Just double clicked on SourcePath and edited it to C:Restarted the PC, Scannow ran fine. No further problems with the uninstaller.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?