Add or Remove Programs

Crimsom 12:08 23 Oct 2005

When looking at the list of programs there is a large gap between those whose name starts with A and the others whose name starts with B to Z. Is there a corrective action or does one just have to tolerate this aberration ?

SANTOS7 12:17 23 Oct 2005

click here
click on tweaks scroll down to 226 select option on right side of page...

€dstowe 12:18 23 Oct 2005

If it's not causing a problem (I doubt it is) I suggest you leave it alone. How often do you go into Add/Remove and see it?

Much mischief can be cause by "rectifying" problems that don't exist - like this one seems to be.

Crimsom 16:35 16 Jul 2006

Thanks for the clue, the large space is in the list of applications whose names start with "A" and I seemingly do not have an AutoCAD entry despite having AutoCAD 2002 installed.
Having searched, AutoCAD 2002 has named its uninstall folder {5783F2D7-0101-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}.
The string value named "DisplayIcon" had Value data: C:\Program Files\AutoCAD 2002\acad.exe,-1 and this data was changed to C:\Program Files\AutoCAD 2002\acad.exe,1
The large space has now been replaced by the "new" entry of AutoCAD 2002.
Many thanks for solving this problem. Kind regards.

Reply: smallhelp
Date: Jan/29/06 - 18:31 (GMT)
Subject: Large blank space in WinXP SP2\Control Panel\Add or Remove Programs

This can be due to AutoCAD having an invalid "-1" in the registry under "Display Icon." I fixed the problem by:
1) In Windows, click on "Start," "Run," and type "Cmd" in the "Open" text box.
2) In the command prompt, type "Regedit" to open the registry editor.
3) In the left side of the screen, scroll to the top and expand down through the registry to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
4) Click on the first registry entry (it'll appear as gibberish), and slowly arrow down. You'll notice the information in the right side of the screen changes. Look for the information "DisplayIcon" "REG_SZ" "C:\Program Files\AutoCAD LT 2002\aclt.exe,-1"
5) The "-1" is the problem. Double click on the "DisplayIcon" text, and in the dialog box that appears change the "-1" to "1".
6) Click "OK" and then close the registry editor. This took care of the problem for me.

Hope this helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?