Add new hardware wizard keeps loading

scp99 19:25 10 Apr 2008

Hi all,

Had a problem with XP media edition laptop and had to uninstall an anti virus software program in safe mode.

Part of the problem caused by having two programs loaded was that "the found new hardware" icon in the system tray popped up and the add new hardware wizard also came up. (this happened in Safe mode aswell)

Problem is - I haven't - as far as I know added any hardware and the wizard and notification in the system tray keeps coming up.

Any one know how either how to prevent this or ascertain what the hardware is so i can download the appropriate software drivers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

wis 19:36 10 Apr 2008

ok you state soft ware but system is asking for
hardware,when this poppes up go along with it
to try to define what its found

aine 19:37 10 Apr 2008

try putting a cd or dvd in and running that, if you have anything with a usb connection try that this cured mine a while ago

Totally-braindead 19:44 10 Apr 2008

Need more info. If it tries to load some sort of hardware does it not say what the hardware is?

What happens if you let it run?

When you say about having 2 programs loaded what do you mean? What 2 programs?

You cannot have 2 anti virus programs installed as they will almost certainly conflict if that what you did.

Have you considered trying system restore to before the problem appeared?

scp99 14:50 13 Apr 2008

Hi all,
problem is now resolved.
couldn't tell what type of hardware it was trying load as the wizard stated unknown and had a yellow question mark.

Had a try with the DVD but unfortunately that didn't work.

I think it was a problem hung over whilst trying to install PC guard.

In the end I looked in device manager and deleted some unknown device drivers. "Radial point (x86)"
had been wrongly installed about 15 times. After deletion the hardware wizard stop loaded and everything seems to working okay.

I had terrible problems installing PC guard and personally will stay clear on it in the future.

many thanks for eveyone's help and tips.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?