Add Hardware Wizard Keeps Showing at Start Up

Steinmanstorm 07:59 30 Jan 2006

Every time I boot up the Add Hardware Wizard Keeps Showing on screen BUT with only the Cancel option avavilable! I have not added anything new. If I click Cancel I then get the little "new hardware found" icon nrea the clock stating its "PCI Simple Communications Controller" that is the new hardware. I close the balloon & the Add Hardware Wizard comes on screen again with just Cancel available! This goes on for several clicks until eventually I'm told that "new hardware may not work properly" & I can then get on with what I want to do!
Running XP.
Anyone any ideas?
Cheers

andrew-196854 08:51 30 Jan 2006

i would say its a missing driver ,have you checked in your device manager to see if there is a yellow ? to get to the device manager click control panel,then click performance and maintenance,then system ,then click hardware,then device manager

Skyver 09:06 30 Jan 2006

Corrupted/damaged modem drivers - if you can get some model information from Device Manager, download and re-install them.

wobblymike 13:21 30 Jan 2006

As stated above it's picking up a dial up modem which wants it's drivers. Try using the add hardware wizard and downloading it's driver over the net (I'm making the assumption here that you are on broadband and not using it anymore). The other option is to remove it!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?