add hard driveto network

mikesuther 15:52 04 Jul 2007

Hi, I hope that the wise oracles of the forums are around. My problem is this, I have a USB 2.0 Freecom 160gb hardrive and I want to have it connected to my network which has 2 laptops connected wirelessly.

In addition I have two cabled networkable printers connected to my Belkin Router and believe it or not they all work fine. I understand that I can connect the hard drive to one laptop and access it from the other laptop over the network as long as I have the drive connected to one of my wireless laptops that is switched on.

I had a spare print server but that idea did not work. What I want to do is have the hard drive connected in such a way that it does not have to be connected to a laptop and that I can access the drive from either laptop on the network.

robbiepaul79 16:26 04 Jul 2007

The harddrive would have to be connected to a computer in order for you to access it i believe. I cant think of any way that you can connect it to the network in anyway, unless your router has USB connectors on it.

jst0076 16:04 06 Jul 2007

You can get an adaptor for about £50 that will allow you to do that. Something like the NSLU2 from linksys would do the job. Lets you network any usb storage device, just plug it into the usb port and connect to the router via ethernet.

mikesuther 10:50 17 Aug 2007

I would like to apolagise for not responding earlier but unfortunatley i have been in hospital and forgot to check communications.

Thank you all, for the advice I will consider what has been advised and go from there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?