adaware vs avg anti spywarehi,

rambus 12:52 07 Jan 2007

hi, just noticed that avg are now doing a free anti-spyware programme.have been using adaware for many years, but was thinking of switching to avg.do you have any preferances as to one or other,would find your comments interesting.

birdface 12:58 07 Jan 2007

Keep the two of them ,But make AVG your main spyware program,To me it is a lot better than Adaware,

Technotiger 13:14 07 Jan 2007

Hi, I agree with buteman ...Cheers

€dstowe 13:19 07 Jan 2007

I've heard there's a new Ad-Aware in the offing soon.

cocteau48 13:20 07 Jan 2007

Please note that after 30 days you will lose the automatic updates and the real time protection with the avg prog.
Why not try spyware terminator:
click here
it is totally free with automatic updates and real time protection.
I have been running it for months with no problems whatsoever.

Technotiger 13:21 07 Jan 2007

I don't know how/why. but I have had my AVG Anti-Spyware for over 30days and am still getting automatic updates :-)

Belatucadrus 13:23 07 Jan 2007

Do note that the real time coverage with AVG is only for an introductory period, after 30 days it gets deactivated as the feature reduced free version takes over.
For free real time coverage, you need click here Spycatcher Express or click here Spyware Terminator. I prefer Terminator, but they'll both do the job.

Belatucadrus 13:25 07 Jan 2007

I think the updates are OK after 30 days, but the real time protection is deactivated.

Technotiger 14:13 07 Jan 2007

Thanks for the info - I am not bothered though, as I have plenty of protection and don't have any trouble with nasties.

Carafaraday 14:35 07 Jan 2007

Does ayone know whether the AVG anti-spyware is compatible with Zone Alarm? I am running AVG anti-virus with Zone Alarm and Adaware (with no problems)and am thinking of adding AVG anti-spyware.

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:49 07 Jan 2007

There should be no problems but you have more than enough anti-spy programmes and adding it will be of no benefit. Common sense is far more useful than anti-spy progs because if you inadvertently give a programme permission to run, no amount of anti-spys and AVs will stop it (see Spy Sheriff et al).

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?