adaware updates are they a con?

johnnyrocker 00:06 09 Sep 2005

for the last four at least updates i have d/loaded them and each time they find 3 critical and three files is this really true each time?

johnny.

powerless 00:11 09 Sep 2005

What files?

As adaware is free, where's the con?

johnnyrocker 00:16 09 Sep 2005

you miss the point i have been a long time supporter of this product but find it a little odd that each update finds 3 items almost every time.

johnny.

lickalotofpuss 00:19 09 Sep 2005

stranger than fiction. Everytime I run Adware update it always fails (so it says) yet when back onto the main screen there's the update all installed odd but true.

johnnyrocker 00:20 09 Sep 2005

makes one wonder.

johnny

lickalotofpuss 00:24 09 Sep 2005

Been using Microsofts new anti-spyware it finds minor threats, then I run Ad-aware it finds nothing always the same with these spyware removers- run three of them and all three will give different responses

ACOLYTE 00:33 09 Sep 2005

Its not found anything for a long time on my pc,not even the spybot blocks,and it used to find them all the time.

Stuartli 09:31 09 Sep 2005

You've failed to tell us what other precautions you have in place such as SpywareBlaster - if so, then all you have discovered is that they are doing their job and hence Ad-Aware's role has been minimised.

I use Search and Destroy, Ad-Aware, SpywareBlaster, ZoneAlarm and Avast! (all updated as required) and am on broadband which is operative for around 15 hours a day even if the system is perhaps not being used.

I've only had one nasty since switching from dialup in April and that was entirely my own fault.

lickalotofpuss 09:48 09 Sep 2005

I also use search & destroy as well as microsofts and adaware and am also on broadband (too much sometimes) and have found since using microsofts program my instances of spyware have decreased massively thou i use nortons 2004 firewall and anti-virus as well as Aols own spyware, only think that keeps me awake is cookies, which is way i use webroot window washer.

johnnyrocker 10:40 09 Sep 2005

well i just thought it to be a bit odd that always 3 when the microsoft one which runs every evening comes up clean as does spy bot but adaware finds three.

johnny.

ACOLYTE 10:47 09 Sep 2005

Is adaware finding the 2 from spybot? thats if you use those,to stop the startpage bieng changed?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone