Adaware SE scan causes Windows XP to close

markdavid 08:32 20 Jul 2007

A problem has suddenly occured. When I run Adaware SE from my desktop, after a few seconds of the smart system scan I get a message "Windows is shutting down" (with a 1 minute countdown). Shutdown initiated by NT Authority system. RMC Terminated unexpectedly."
I notice that, for the 1st time ever, the Adaware at this point has picked up a critical object near the beginning of the system scan...during the WINXP part.

So I am left with a blank desktop and have to reboot manually, usually prompting a disk check.

Any ideas what might have happened and the cure? Keep it simple please!

Many thanks

crosstrainer 08:43 20 Jul 2007

Adaware in safe mode:

To Do This

1) Boot the computer and tap the F8 key

2) choose safe mode

3) After booting run adaware

If this fails post back

Technotiger 08:44 20 Jul 2007

Check this out,

click here

Taff™ 08:52 20 Jul 2007

This sounds like the Blaster Virus. May be worth checking. See if this fits the problem click here If so follow solution 1.

markdavid 09:00 20 Jul 2007

Thanks both.

Taff....is this OK to install, since I have Panda Antivirus Platunum running already? There won't be any conflict will there?

Crosstrainer - I'll try your solution after Taff's - no offence!

Taff™ 09:28 20 Jul 2007

Fixblast is a stand alone solution and it won`t conflict. It`s worth trying just to be sure. Then try crosstrainers suggestion - I`d have recommended that too but he beat me to it.

markdavid 17:31 20 Jul 2007

I'm now away for this weekend, so can't take your suggested steps till next week. I will report back then. I'm sure feedback on such queries helps to increase everyone's knowledge.

markdavid 14:21 25 Jul 2007

It was a blaster virus! Since my Panda Platinum Antivirus 2007 updates daily, it must somehow have slipped through the net!
I've removed Adaware in any case since I can't see that its really necessary with Windows own Disk Clean, plus regular sweeps by CCleaner and the continually operating Panda antivirus.
Many thanks for all your help guys.

Taff™ 06:29 26 Jul 2007

A bit worrying that your antivirus software didn`t get it - did you do a scan using Panda?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?