AdAware scanning times

Shas 15:28 03 Jun 2004

Assuming it depends on how much stuff you actually have on your computer, is there still an 'average' length of time that AdAware should take to scan?

Thinking that it might be like defrag and work quicker with nothing else running, I've taken to shutting everything else down and running it overnight (when I remember) but it still takes 2¾ - 3 hrs and I'm just wondering if this normal. (NAV takes about 35 mins to do a full system scan).

Running WIN98se, with a 6GB hdd (usually approx 1.4GB free) and 256MB ram, if that's relevant.

kaled 15:36 03 Jun 2004

Sounds odd.
I too am running Windows 98, have 256mb ram and an 8Gb hard drive - my AdAware scans average 15 to 20 mins.
Hopefully someone like VOG or the great wizard himself will be able to give you some advice over this.
Hope you get sorted soon.

rawprawn 15:40 03 Jun 2004

It shuldn't take so long, I have 30gig to scan & it takes about 5 to 10 minutes. Have you tried uninstalling and the reinstall make sure you get the latest version.

Valvegrid 15:40 03 Jun 2004

Good grief! 2¾ - 3 hrs, that's an age. I'm running 98SE and 256MB RAM with 10GB HD on the primary partition and with everything running I'd be surprised if it takes five minutes. To defrag it usually takes ten minutes using ME defrag tool.

Sorry it hasn't really thrown any light on your problem, apart from highlighting a possible problem, maybe one of the others have an idea.

rawprawn 15:45 03 Jun 2004

Just a thoght my daughter got a virus in her computer (Win 98)and when I tried to scan with an anti virus it took an age. The reason it turned out was that her hard drive was nearly full and after taking off some old programs that weren't used it was a lot better.

Shas 16:01 03 Jun 2004

Thanks to you all for your responses. You have confirmed my suspicions that something's not quite right!

I defragged yesterday and today made sure I had the latest updates for NAV, Spybot and AdAware before running all three. Norton and Spybot both showed all clear, and I got fed up waiting for AdAware and quit, intending to do it overnight as usual.

I will remove it and re-download and see if there's any improvement.

Thanks again.

MartinT-B 16:21 03 Jun 2004

Mine takes less than 10 minutes to scan 37GB of XP Pro files (about 45% of the disk) using 512K RAM and an AMD 2200

NAV takes about 30 minutes to do a complete system scan

Spybot about 5

Shas 16:38 03 Jun 2004

Well, I've removed and re-downloaded and updated to the latest reference file. It's been going for 25 minutes. According to old logs it scans some 40,000+ entries and at the moment it's up to 27,000+ so it doesn't look as though there's too much improvement.

Also, while it's running it still seems to hijack the mouse pointer which behaves as though it's drunk, swaying all over the place and making it difficult to work on anything else, (another reason why I used to run it overnight).

rawprawn 16:43 03 Jun 2004

I think you must have too much running on your machine,have you looked at what is starting in msconfig. It may help if you stop some programs loading that are not needed.

€dstowe 16:44 03 Jun 2004

Try Spybot S&D to see if that takes the same length of time to scan click here

Jackcoms 16:45 03 Jun 2004

I'm running XP, 512 of RAM, 40GB hard drive and AdAware takes about 10/12 minutes. It scans about 105,000 files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?