AdAware Anniversary Edition

rotormota 18:07 20 Mar 2009

Hi,
I have just updated to the latest AdAware Anniversary Edition but in some respects I wish I hadn't. Apart from the user interface looking a tad amateur, it is more intrusive than I've come to expect from this freeware.

The main issue is that it installs itself into the start up menu and an icon is placed in the system tray. I don't want AdAware as a start up item & I have unchecked anything in the software itself that might cause this as well as in the PC start up lists yet it still appears in the system tray on boot up.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
J

Szymanski99 18:26 20 Mar 2009

I suppose you may already have clicked on the ad-watch icon (top right) and then clicked on the "processes" icon to switch off the real time watch. If that doesn't work you could also run "msconfig" and uncheck "AAWtray" under start programs, or use another utility with start program features to do the same thing. I have no idea what I may have done right, but I have the ad-watch on but nothing in the tray. Best of luck!

muddypaws 10:31 21 Mar 2009

Gave up Adaware some time ago, due to problems.
If you want to uninstall I suggest this click here
Not much help to you, but at least you are now back on page one.

muddypaws 11:12 21 Mar 2009

rotormota
Not strictly your situation, but the bottom half of this page click here might help.
mp

Sea Urchin 11:41 21 Mar 2009

To stop it appearing in the system tray open program and click Settings (top right) - then Appearance tab - and under General tick Hide Taskbar Icon - click OK.

As above use msconfig/startup to uncheck program running automatically - or even easier if you have CCleaner - use Tools/StartUp - highlight program and Disable.

rotormota 18:13 21 Mar 2009

Thanks but I've resolved the issue by going into start/run/msconfig/services tab & unchecking the AdAware entry. Interestingly while there, I have Googled & identified at least a dozen other completely unnecessary running services taking up CPU resources & internet band width.

Cheers all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?