AdAware Alternative

Border View 10:44 04 Aug 2008

Can anyone please recommend an alternative to AdAware.

Yesterday when I returned from holiday did my usual updates and when I went into Spybot S&D a message appeared something about Lava. When I came to update AdAware I kept getting the message that I was not connected to the internet, which of course I was, and could not get any further. I subsequently uninstalled AdAware.

Advice on where to go from here would be appreciated. Thank you.

Barmoor

Border View 10:51 04 Aug 2008

Sorry, should have mentioned that I run with XP Home Edition SP2. Avast antivirus, and Sunbelt Firewall. Also have a-squared, and Spyware Blaster.

DippyGirl 11:00 04 Aug 2008

Just updated my definitions file for AdAware 2008 - I also run Spybot updated definitions file and that is OK too.
Why did you uninstall AdAware?

rawprawn 11:02 04 Aug 2008

SuperAntispyware

click here

rdave13 11:04 04 Aug 2008

I personally prefer superantispyware and removed Adaware some time ago.
click here

rawprawn 11:06 04 Aug 2008

I have Ad Aware Plus, and I get that message occasionally.I think that there may be a small comppatibility problem between Ad Aware and Spybot.

€dstowe 11:15 04 Aug 2008

Seems a bit drastic to remove a program just because its website was down.

Border View 11:19 04 Aug 2008

I concur with your comments Edstowe. The message from Spybot did mention compatibility.

Think I shall have a try of Superantispyware.

Thanks for your comments and help.

Kind regards - Barmoor

Stuartli 11:34 04 Aug 2008

I have AdAware and SUPERAntispyware installed - the latter, manually updated each morning, almost invariably has new definitions for download.

Border View 13:51 04 Aug 2008

I have installed SUPERAntispyware free. Did a scan and it found 11 Adware cookies. Only recognised one, so used the new software to deal with them.

Again thank you for your help.

Barmoor

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?