AdAware 2007 now Vista32 compatible

cocteau48 14:01 28 Aug 2007

Either download from here:
click here
or upgrade from within the prog.
Note this is in addition to the database update which sunny staines posted earlier today:
click here

Probabilitydrive 14:18 28 Aug 2007

Thanks, was a long wait but finally the dynamic duo (Spy-bot S&D and Ad-aware) are on the move again.

rawprawn 16:03 28 Aug 2007

Thank you cocteau48, they told me it would be available on 30th August, so they are a couple of days early.

blimey, hadnt used it since personal se. it's changed a little, icons for ad watch, icon in the tool bar which does nothing unless you upgrade, and you cant uninstal unless you turn off the icon in the tool bar,which you cant. if you cancel it in msconfig it puts it back? not a stand alone second scanner anymore i guess! had to do a restore to get rid of it.
i suppose ad aware se is no longer available?

cocteau48 17:56 28 Aug 2007

AdAware Personal SE is still available and remains supported. A date for the cessation of the support was mentioned (somewhere) but I cannot remember where.
I take it that the problems you outline re: toolbar icons and the inability to uninstall are Vista related - they do not appear to be evident in XP.

yep it was vista

Batch 10:21 29 Aug 2007

I've now got an AdAware SysTray icon (from aawtray.exe) that I can't get rid of (with WinXP SP2). Tried switching it off in the startup tab of msconfig, but just comes back. It seems it is re-instated by the AdAware service that is also started up and is necessary for AdAware to work - so looks like one is stuck with a useless icon (there aren't any functions attached to it). Not worth going back to SE as far as I can see as support must surely be turned off at some point.

cocteau48 12:44 29 Aug 2007

Since booting up this morning I too have the AdAware icon in my system tray and it has definitely only appeared since yesterdays upgrade.
OK I accept that there is no such thing as a free lunch any more and if you want to utilize a free prog it is not unreasonable that they want to stick a reminder under your nose but isn't it a shame that they (Lavasoft) have not at least given the icon some function - like using it to open the prog itself?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017