Ad-Hoc Wireless Network slow

milly54 11:05 14 Jun 2003

I have a WinMe desktop and WinXP home notebook - both fitted with 802.11b adapters.

I have established network connection and file sharing between both PC's.

However, while the initial connection speed shows 11Mb/s, as soon as I attempt any network activity - browsing etc - it slows to 1Mb/s, and any file transfers are very slow.

Can anyone help please?

milly54 16:16 14 Jun 2003

PS the two PC's are within 2 metres of each other and showing excellent signal strength

Magik ®© 16:51 14 Jun 2003

just as a matter of interest, i have mine on a wireless network, i have just closed both doors, the room upstairs where the desktop is and the room downstairs where the laptop is, and the thing went along like a snail. just opened the doors again and we are flying..

you never know, stranger things have happened..

milly54 17:51 16 Jun 2003

Magik,
My notebook is sitting on the same desk as the PC - no doors to open or close!! But as you say, stranger things.....

I just wondered if my slow transfer speed may be related to protocols/settings etc.

Magik ®© 18:52 16 Jun 2003

if you care to write some of the settings down, i can look through mine, and see what we have. might come across something...

milly54 14:06 23 Jun 2003

Although I'd tried a couple of different channels previously, one last attempt at getting a half decent connect speed involved trying several other channels - and whoopee I found on that peforms very well - guess there must be other interfering transmissions in my locality.

milly54 14:12 23 Jun 2003

PS - thanks for offers of help etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires