Ad Aware will not update.

micemews 18:08 17 Jul 2007

I have just returned from holiday to find that Ad Aware will not update. Each time I try I get a message 'Error Retrieving Update.

Has anyone any suggestions how to rectify this please.

VoG II 18:14 17 Jul 2007
  Gongoozler 18:14 17 Jul 2007

Same here. There must be a problem with the site. You could try downloading the definitions file click here, and then replace the file defs.ref in the folder C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Personal.

Earthsea 18:59 17 Jul 2007

I thought Ad-Aware SE had been replaced with Ad-Aware 2007. That's the version I've got and it works fine.

Allerton 19:17 17 Jul 2007

I had the same problem with broadband but it updates using a dial up connection.

Smiler 19:30 17 Jul 2007

Same here :-) and no problems

mungo_one 21:07 17 Jul 2007

I had this problem with the SE version too. So I uninstalled it, and from filehippo.com, I loaded the 2007 version which seems to update OK. Hope this helps.

micemews 11:58 20 Jul 2007

Thanks all for your help. I have uninstalled Ad Aware SE and installed Ad Aware 2007 and this seems to be working ok at the moment.

Initially I tried to manually download the def file as suggested by Serh Haniel but when I accessed this site I got the following message :-

Java (TM) Plug in Fatal Error - Java Runtime Environment Cannot be Loaded.

Is there a fix for this, or would it be best to uninstall Java then install the latest version.

At present in Add Remove Programs I have 5 items J2SE Runtime environment 5 (Updates 3, 6, 9, 10 and 11)

In Addition I have Java (TM) SE Runtime Environment 6 Update 1.

Thanks once again for your help

Miros 22:05 23 Jul 2007

I installed the new Ad-Aware version 7.0.2.1 a short while ago. Tonight couldn't get it to open or run, got message... 'System error fault 19811,cannot read graphics Application terminates'
I then went on their web site was having no joy there, so uninstalled it, then reinstalled it again from from C-Net downloads, Registered it then updated and it is actually now doing a full scan at this minute.

Did I see somewhere the fault is caused by not registering the new version in the first place, I'm almost certain I didn't do it at the time. But done it now and all seems OK.

Miros 22:19 23 Jul 2007

I mention the above (regarding the registration) as I think it may relate to some of the other problems that have occurred with what was formally a trouble free program for a number of years.

Why do they try and fix it when it ain't broke?
:-)

Miros 23:17 23 Jul 2007

Done two scans, unable to finalise without getting a long protracted error message, had enough, going to bed. So my theory was wrong.

Why do they fix something that ain't broke ???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?