Ad-Aware on-screen warning

heavymetalkid 23:27 04 Oct 2006

Each time I call up Ad-Aware I get the following warning...."Your definitions are 15 days old,would you like to check for updates?" I click on "yes" and it tells me I'm up to date, as I do it regularly. However, the warning remains and reappears each time I start Ad-Aware...I can't get rid of it. I have had Ad-Aware for a few years and have never encountered this before. Anyone know why it won't vanish?

johnnyrocker 23:29 04 Oct 2006

uninstall and reinstall best bet.

johnny.

heavymetalkid 23:31 04 Oct 2006

Thanks pal....doing it now

SANTOS7 23:34 04 Oct 2006

Open AdAware, click on the config tab (cog wheel) under definitions untick "prompt to update outdated defs" set days to 0 (zero) days click proceed..

heavymetalkid 23:46 04 Oct 2006

Thankyou Santos, just about to uninstall when I saw your post. Followed your instructions, only thing I couldn't do was set the days to zero....greyed out-no response. However, definitions message not showing now. Still have "Warning, your definitions file may be outdated" on main screen. Confused by why it was there. As I stated I've had Ad-Aware for years-never seen it before. Your reaction....should I still uninstall/ reinstall?

bluto1 23:57 04 Oct 2006

I had the same warning about being 15 days without an update, followed it, found nothing and decided to leave it for a couple of days. I often think this is the best thing to do with programmes like AdAware and perhaps SpyBot.
If you uninstall them you`ve got to go through the trauma of finding the correct keys to reinstall.(if you`re like me, everything all over the place)

LANDCRUISER 23:57 04 Oct 2006

My adaware is the same must be their site having a problem i guess

heavymetalkid 00:02 05 Oct 2006

Johnnyrocker, Santos, Bluto and Landcruiser, thanks for the posts, could be problems their end, I'll give it a few days.

johnnyrocker 00:04 05 Oct 2006

ty, still think my suggestion is best, i have had to do it a couple of times over the last 5 years but good luck anyway.

johnny.

Allyginger 00:13 05 Oct 2006

There is nothing wrong with your Ad-aware. It's just that no updates have been on since 19 Sept. On the website it's showing definitions update as 124 and 19/9. So an update could be coming soon.I've sent them an email in case anything is wrong. Awaiting an answer.

heavymetalkid 00:24 05 Oct 2006

You could be right Johnny and I value your opinion mate. Greetings Allyginger and thanks for post and info. I'll be patient. Good night all. Andy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?