Ad Aware keeps finding things

Halmer 12:44 21 Feb 2003

everytime I rgo on the net so what's the point in having it??

Isn't there anyway that I can use it to stop the things landing on my PC in the first place if they are so undesirable?

Djohn 12:48 21 Feb 2003

It's doing it's job correctly, each time I log off Ad-Aware has found at least 4 and sometimes 15 cookies, one click of the button and away they go.

Ad-Aware, as a program does not know which ones you wish to allow or discard, that is why it gives you the option. J.

xtreme_computing 12:49 21 Feb 2003

what sort of things is adaware picking up,

i also use spyblaster, that actualy stops things from being installed on your computer that contains spyware,adaware will just remove it.

but adaware is always worth having

Djohn 12:55 21 Feb 2003

Must admit, nothing sinister, just adverts such as double click and fast click etc.

xtreme_computing 13:00 21 Feb 2003

but thats right! there the sort of things adaware picks up on this machine.nothing to worry about,if its picking up actual software/dialers then there somthing to worry about, and maybe a change of of surfing habits is in order

Halmer 14:15 21 Feb 2003

I'm very conservative with my surfing, mostly on PCA to be honest and the BBC.

When I had done the last SpyBot update AdAware actually picked up two items from that!

My answer to your question would probably be the same as Djohn's.

newface 14:16 21 Feb 2003

Perhaps the best thing to do is to try and stop these being put on your machine. I installed Zone Alert which I picked up free from somewhere. I havent had any problems since.

jazzypop 15:32 21 Feb 2003

Spywareblaster will prevent all kinds of unwelcome visitors from being installed without your knowledge - see click here

Are you sure that AdAware is not just identifying cookies? This site, like many others, places cookies in your cache to track your browsing habits.

Filch 15:36 21 Feb 2003

Halmer, to stop cookies - if you are using Internet Explorer, click Tools, Internet Options, Security, Restricted Sites, Sites. Type in *.doubleclick.com; *.doubleclick.net; *.fastclick.net; and anything else you wish to keep from putting cookies on your machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires