Ad-aware free

Paddylad 21:59 27 Aug 2010

I recently installed the latest version and this PM ran the 'scan'. I was surprised to see, on the scan page, just beneath the Ad-aware scan logo the words "anti-virus, anti-malware, anti-rootkit." I also have Avast anti virus on my PC, but there was no conflict during the scan.
This raises a few questions. Is it better to have 3 separate dedicated programmes or one like this?
Or is the Ad-aware anti virus watered down.?

northumbria61 23:23 27 Aug 2010

"Is it better to have 3 separate dedicated programmes or one like this?" It is a matter of personal choice. Some people like seperate one's and others a Security Suite (combined) It is not advisable to have 2 Anti-Virus programs installed but there should not be any conflict providing they are not running at the same time (make sure real time scanning is disabled) I would decide which one suits your best needs and stick to it.

rdave13 23:24 27 Aug 2010

Avast is a 'real-time' scanner whether the free version or not. As your Ad-Aware is the free version it will have to be updated manually and scanned manually.
Dumped Adaware years ago for reasons that I can't remember now (possibly not very good ) and installed Superantispyware, malwarebytes and spywareblaster instead. Google search for those.
As for the question that three dedicated programs are better, then in my humble opinion, definately so. Can't get better than Avast!5 as an AV either.

Paddylad 19:39 28 Aug 2010

Hi , sorry I took so long getting back. One of my neighbours had a heart attack and things got hectic for a short while. He's OK now, a bit shaken up.
I agree with both of you, I only posted because I hadn't seen this before on ad-aware. Thanks for your input.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017