Is Ad-Aware enough?

MickinPlymouthUK 03:34 19 Aug 2006

I use Ad-Aware SE Personal,which gets rid of "adware and spyware"
Just for interests sake whats the difference between adware and spyware?
And do I need another anti-spyware program as well, or is Ad-Aware enough?
And when the scan finds "objects", I'm given the option of quarantining or deleting them. Shall I delete them, after all I don't want them so why should I want to quarantine them?
I'm Win 98SE, PC-illiterate

wiz-king 06:58 19 Aug 2006

but then again none of these programs are.

Adware - popup ads etc
Spyware - programs that report back your keystrokes/buying habits/bank details to someone else.

Each one you use will slow you computer down slightly and may interact with another so dont use more than one of each type of program at a time.

You have anti-virus I presume? That is also important.

Longhouse 07:49 19 Aug 2006

I use Ad-aware + Spybot search & destroy along with Zonealarm & Avast on WinMe & Win98. I'm happy with the performance and have suffered no problems to date.

You can use several spyware / adware programmes together, but it's not advisable / recommended to run more than 1 each of firewall / antvirus.

Stuartli 08:19 19 Aug 2006

I have Ad-Aware, Search and Destroy and SpywareBlaster in use, plus Avast! AV.

All work in perfect harmony and, if by any chance, my system is "slowed down slightly" then I would regard it as a very small price to pay for peace of mind.

Andsome 08:26 19 Aug 2006

I don't think that Adaware is anywhere as near as good as it used to be. I reckon that an absolutely brilliant anti spyware program is SUPERAntispyware. A free version is available click here

I run this together with A Squared, which is superb at sorting out Trojans. A free version of this is also available. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017