Ad-Aware + CCleaner

rezeeg 11:56 14 Jul 2006

I frequently run CCleaner to generally clean up which gets rid of all my cookies (except those I've requested to remain).

I also run Ad-Aware, but is this necessary? ie. does it find adware etc. lurking in places that CCleaner doesn't go? It only seems to find things if I run it prior to running CCleaner.

Sethhaniel 12:01 14 Jul 2006

lurk in the cookies folder - Ccleaner has already sorted them - but if ones slipped through to another folder thats where AdAware will find it where Ccleaner will not

SG Atlantis® 14:04 14 Jul 2006

"does it find adware etc. lurking in places that CCleaner doesn't go?"

In a word YES!

One looks for adware and spyware.

ccleaner cleans out old stuff.

johndrew 14:28 14 Jul 2006

Or to put it another way:

Ccleaner is a brush;
Ad-Aware is a sniffer dog.

rezeeg 14:45 14 Jul 2006

Thanks all. I'll stay with it then.

Jackcoms 15:37 14 Jul 2006

Which begs the question - do you have any active anti-malware as well such as Windows Defender, SpywareBlaster or even Spybot?

Adaware will only find malware at the time you run a manual scan - that is, after the event.

The others should stop malware before it even 'infects' your PC.

rezeeg 15:50 14 Jul 2006

Jackcoms yes, running Windows Defender, Avast Anti-Virus and Outpost Firewall (which incorporates anti-spyware).

"The others should stop malware before it even 'infects' your PC."

Are you suggesting that those obviate the need for Ad-Aware? Ad-Aware seems to only find 'tracking cookies' which CCleaner gets rid of anyway.

Trying not to be 'over the top' with these type of programs. I shudder when I see the number of programs that some forum members are running.

SG Atlantis® 17:01 14 Jul 2006

1 AV (any more and they clash)
1 FW (as above)
2 OR 3 SPYWARE TOOLS. (no clashing so the more the merrier)

For me it's AVG Free, Zone Alarm, Adaware and Spybot SD. That's it.

Jackcoms 17:37 14 Jul 2006

"Are you suggesting that those obviate the need for Ad-Aware?"

No, I'm not

Sethhaniel 11:34 15 Jul 2006

and it clears cookies etc
but he has two grandchildren who also use computer and they have their own password protected space (that he can't get at - don't ask)

ad-aware accesses those password protected areas and cleans out cookies there whereas ccleaner doesn't ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?