Ad-Aware

hawthorn59 03:02 11 Oct 2007

Hi

I just downloaded and installed Ad-aware 2007, and did a quick scan.

It showed 28 "objects detected", not listed under critical. I looked at the list and they meant nothing to me, and I am confused! For example, one was

index.dat.kontera.com.imprs/

then there were 2 MRU Objects; MRU path and MRU registry key, with a longer title.

i really dont want to mess with these as I know nothing about them.

Heres the strange thing; only yesterday i installed a new hard drive, and freshly installed XP Pro....could there really be 28 "objects already? I had Avast antivirus running straight away.

Are there easier-to-follow programs other than Adaware?

h

cocteau48 07:01 11 Oct 2007

MRU = Most Recently Used - nothing sinister to worry about there.

they are probably just tracking cookies, run click here and it should give a clear bill of health.

jakimo 11:55 11 Oct 2007
  hawthorn59 14:41 11 Oct 2007

Thanks.

Ok Im reassured that theres nothing wrong, but why the heck is AdAware showing me most recently used objects? Is it not supposed to show just things that are a problem?

Are they all like this or should i use something else?

h

cocteau48 15:06 11 Oct 2007

If you run CCleaner (as adman2 suggests) before Adaware you will probably find that it will clear your MRU list and that it will not then appear on an Adaware scan.

hawthorn59 15:57 11 Oct 2007

OK I can do that. But can you explain what is MRU or why is it regarded as a threat??

h

cocteau48 16:47 11 Oct 2007

These MRU lists contain information such as the names and/or locations of the last files you have accessed. They are located ALL OVER your registry, and for almost ANY file type. By looking at these MRU lists, someone could determine what files you opened/saved/looked at, what their file names were, and much more! (And, in many cases, the lists are displayed in drop-down menus automatically.)so yes delete with ad-aware
(fromYahoo Answers website)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Illustrator Mariana Rodrigues' beautiful flora and fauna for Bombay Sapphire gin

How to remove Mac ransomware

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?