ActiveX-what is it?

Caro123 15:01 04 Mar 2005

When trying to edit photos on Ebay, I receive a message to install: ActiveX EPUWALControl_vl-03-18.cab. on Ebay - when I click to install the page freezes and have to use task manager to end program. Microsoft error report reports two files C:\DOCUME\Name|LOCALS1|Temp|WER554f.dir00\iexplore.exe.mdmp and """\appcompat.txt. Everything else on comp is working -I think! Can anyone help - do I need to install something to make this work properly? V urgent plse as I have rung a comp engineer this afternoon to try to sort out.....

Yoda Knight 15:18 04 Mar 2005

CANCEL THE ENGINEER !!! Why waste the money when youve found this site ?

Empty ur internet history (download ccleaner if u need to) and install the activeX control.

Yoda Knight 15:28 04 Mar 2005

:)

Yoda Knight 15:29 04 Mar 2005

Woops, I meant delete the temp internet files...

Caro123 15:39 04 Mar 2005

Hi YodaKnight
Have deleted all temp int files - how do I install ActiveX and where from ( I ran PC rescue as advised by member and following appeared:
Invalid ActiveX\Com file-163 problems found
" " Subsection file-163 problems
Invalid Applications paths file-3 probs found
Invalid Help files file-1 prob found
Invalid uninstall section file-17 probs found

but it won't let me repair unless I pay up!

Any suggestions?

Yoda Knight 15:48 04 Mar 2005

you dont have to install "activeX", it is a type of program, not a specific program.
Go back to the site on ebay that asked you to install it and allow it to install from there

Stuartli 16:30 04 Mar 2005

This will explain to you the use of ActiveX controls:

click here

Caro123 16:31 04 Mar 2005

Hi Yoda,
Problem is - when Install ActiveX comes up on Ebay and I click to install- the whole thing freezes! Just been into Internet files and Java runtime Environment 1.4.2 Type-Acvtive X control- has a Total size of 0 bytes - does this mean that it isn't there - can't find any tace of Active X on computer! Does this make sense!

Yoda Knight 16:38 04 Mar 2005

the problem is that something on your pc is stopping internet explorer from installing the activex control.

"Microsoft error report reports two files C:\DOCUME\Name|LOCALS1|Temp|WER554f.dir00\iexplore.exe.mdmp and """\appcompat.txt. "

Manualy delete these files as they appear to be the source of the problem. You should be able to install the activeX after you delete the problem files.

U wont find much about activeX on your pc as activeX is the name of a TYPE of program (eg antivirus, a generic name), not really a program (eg norton anti-virus), as I said before.

Stuartli 16:45 04 Mar 2005

If you go to My Computer>Explore>Local Disk>Windows>Downloaded Program Files and then right click on any of the listings>Properties, you will be informed that they are ActiveX controls.

Some of them will be 0kb.

Stuartli 16:49 04 Mar 2005

If you set the Security settings in Internet Explorer to the Default you should be OK with ActiveX controls.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?