active x!!warning pops up everytime on explorer...

moby58 10:36 16 Apr 2009

I'm working on a friends pc[xp],and everytime I try to access anything an "ACTIVE X"warning pops up asking "do you want to allow software such as active x controls and plug ins to run".
I've clicked "yes" once,but it pops up every time again and again!Help!

Graphicool1 10:48 16 Apr 2009

It's all about his security settings.
Start>Right click the IE icon (not the short cut) Choose 'Properties or Internet Properties' in the pop-up menu click the 'Security' tab. Scroll down to the various settings for Active X.

moby58 10:55 16 Apr 2009

Have looked where you said,but there are about 7 different active x boxes to tick...should they all be on enable??some have "not recommended" beside the boxes to be ticked.Which ones should I change?!thanks in advance

Graphicool1 10:55 16 Apr 2009

The ones you probably will want to change are under the headings:

Download signed ActiveX Controls:
Enable (Not Secure)

Download unsigned ActiveX controls:
Enable (Not Secure)

Graphicool1 11:02 16 Apr 2009

This isn't a recommendation on my part. You might be putting your friends PC at risk by doing this. Check your own PC security and see how that is set up.

I have all the recommended settings ticked on mine and yes I do get that annoying warning when trying to download certain software. It tells you the risk, the choice is yours. My security setting is medium high.

moby58 11:02 16 Apr 2009

Thanks!Have done those.Why does it make it "not secure"....?What does that actually mean?

Graphicool1 11:08 16 Apr 2009

It probably means that the software developers haven't paid Microsoft for a certificate. They may have devious reasons for doing this. Or on the other hand perhaps they just don't see why they should. As I have already said you either block all unsigned ActiveX software, in case it's iffy or take a chance.

moby58 11:09 16 Apr 2009

On reflection,I think I will leave it!Thanks for your help though.Have a good day!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?