ACTIVE X ON PCA

David4637 13:41 17 Mar 2007

All of a sudden when entering PCA a pop up box comes up at the top of the web page (IE6). THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE in 3 years, in using this excellent web site. This is obviously something which has just been added, it was not displayed 3-4 days ago.
Why, and please remove ASAP as I do not want to install Active X. Comments please. Thanks David

p;3 14:11 17 Mar 2007

I for one am using the Hosts file which blocks the vast majority of the ads on here ( I need to update it)so I and many others will probably not be seeing what you are , assuming it IS a pop up ad that you are seeing?

David4637 14:25 17 Mar 2007

Thanks for your reply, I have web washer which stops a lot of adverts on PCA. The XP pop up box says "To help protect your security" etc and gives the option of installing Active X. I am NOT keen. I want to know whether others have noticed this pop up. Thanks David

MAJ 14:30 17 Mar 2007

No popups here, XP and IE7. I used to use the Hosts file to block things like that but since getting this new PC and IE7, haven't had any probs so far.

p;3 14:40 17 Mar 2007

click here is the latest for the Hosts file (which Vog kindly introduced me to )if you wish to try it out ; just ensure you select instructions for your version of windows
; I find it brill!!

p;3 14:47 17 Mar 2007

also would kindly suggest that if it is something you are seeing and I for one am NOT using the Hosts file , you might do as well to put Hosts on there ; with no disrespect to this site, it does enable you to read the threads without wading through and playing dodgems with the ads to get there

p;3 14:41 18 Mar 2007

??have you shifted to the Hosts file yet?

p;3 08:23 19 Mar 2007

I have quite deliberately tried this on a NON Hosts pc and do not see anything other than the normal ads

I suggest you might wish to scan your pc
with adaware, sybot, and a squared (sorry, I do not have the links on this pc)

to see if you have picked up something

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?